ICP Results

shadyraro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my ICP results back yesterday and it was all relatively good, molybdenum was really high and po4 was 0.1 but both came back red as did Phosphorous.
I tested the same time as when I filled the vials and my po4 Hanna read 0.25 and po4 salifert 0.25. Interesting it was a lot lower and I would’ve thought 0.1 po4 was fine and should’ve been green.
Molybdenum I have no idea about but it was extremely high, anyone have any insight into this?

IMG_1175.jpeg
IMG_1176.jpeg
IMG_1177.jpeg

Coachb1218

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That Molybdenum is really high but it won’t hurt anything. It could lead to Cyanobacteria if other factors are present. If you’re not having trouble with Cyanobacteria then I wouldn’t lose sleep about the Molybdenum.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That Molybdenum is really high but it won’t hurt anything. It could lead to Cyanobacteria if other factors are present. If you’re not having trouble with Cyanobacteria then I wouldn’t lose sleep about the Molybdenum.

Why do you think excessive molybdenum leads to cyano? That sounds far fetched to me.

Trac elements are either sufficiently present to allow organisms to grow, or they are low enough to limit growth, or are so high they are toxic. They are not a food that can be used more and more to drive high growth of, say, a bacteria.

Coachb1218

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you think excessive molybdenum leads to cyano? That sounds far fetched to me.

Trac elements are either sufficiently present to allow organisms to grow, or they are low enough to limit growth, or are so high they are toxic. They are not a food that can be used more and more to drive high growth of, say, a bacteria.
I did mention other factors would have to be present as well. And it is just what I read doing research.

Coachb1218

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have been thinking more about this and I think you misunderstood. The molybdenum would not serve as food for bacteria. It would serve as one factor in creating an environment where cyano is more likely to be present.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been thinking more about this and I think you misunderstood. The molybdenum would not serve as food for bacteria. It would serve as one factor in creating an environment where cyano is more likely to be present.

Yes, but I cannot see how that would be true. if there's enough molybdenum for corals, there's likely enough for cyano, and having more does not make it grow faster. that's what I meant by not being like a food.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think their set point of 0.07 is low and your test of 0.1 is perfect, and if reality is .25ppm, that’s great as well. The important part is can your system and your maintenance regime keep it stable, week to week.

I’ve ran .2-.3ppm for seven years now.
No visible algae.

OP
OP
S

shadyraro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The phosphate is fine.

Are there any metal parts in or near the water?

Are you dosing any additives?
It’s a Cade tank and they come with stainless hose clamps, there’s currently one attached to my pump hose and 2 attached to the RO reservoir hose.
I dose bio enhance aminos daily.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a Cade tank and they come with stainless hose clamps, there’s currently one attached to my pump hose and 2 attached to the RO reservoir hose.
I dose bio enhance aminos daily.
Do you know the grade number of the stainless steel used? Some do contain molybdenum.

OP
OP
S

shadyraro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know the grade number of the stainless steel used? Some do contain molybdenum.
I think it’s marine grade 316 and after a quick google search I believe you’re correct as they contain 2% molybdenum. I do have plastic clamps which I’ve been meaning to swap out so I’ll be doing that today.

Coachb1218

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but I cannot see how that would be true. if there's enough molybdenum for corals, there's likely enough for cyano, and having more does not make it grow faster. that's what I meant by not being like a food.
I see what you mean now. Yeah, it all makes sense.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 26.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 32.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 30.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back