ICP test on skimmate?

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any threads already or has anyone done this?
I do realize it’s basically “liquified crap” but from a molecular/chemical extraction thing, what is being removed exactly
…again, please pardon if this is rehash, the exact search terms to find what I seek escapes me

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Doctorgori

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ron Shimek did some tests years ago, but I do not know how accurate they were. At the time, he was obsessed with trace elements being too high so his focus was to assess ways to reduce them:

Randy, pardon …do you recall a link?
Using “Ron Shimek + Skimmer + ICP”
I did find

Elemental Analysis of Skimmate: What Does a Protein Skimmer Actually Remove from Aquarium Water

and this thread (relevant If the mods will excuse)

Skimmers and skimming

and this
Macna Mania

Christoph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!
We are doing this regularly, also as a commercial service. Its called SkimQuant analysis, and is available in the US via Reef Moonshiner.

The skimmate is like a "memory" of the reef tank: We can see pollutant emissions that are infrequent/pulsed, and this might get missed when sampling for regular laboratory tests. Also it is a great way to monitor trace element export via the skimmate (or how those export rates are influenced by variations in husbandry).

Here is what the report looks like:

SQ1.png

SQ2.png

SQ3.png

Best regards,
Christoph

OP
OP
Doctorgori

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ron Shimek did some tests years ago, but I do not know how accurate they were. At the time, he was obsessed with trace elements being too high so his focus was to assess ways to reduce them:

Oh that link :face-with-thermometer: ….embarrassed…can’t see
added: just skimming the above article, it make a point about the margins at toxicity … might be noteworthy to those dosing “towards” achieving trace element levels approaching NSW

OP
OP
Doctorgori

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Christoph (or RHF or any of the regular forum brains)
I’m reading the above Ron Shimek article and had to stop here:
Except for a few elements, the concentrations of elements in the water of an average reef tank, as defined by the Tank Water Study, bear little resemblance to the concentrations of the same elements in NSW. In fact, the relationship between reef aquarium water and NSW outside of a couple of the major ions, such as sodium and calcium, is so tenuous that one could legitimately say there is NO consistent relationship

this statement struck me at least from a chasing some of the assorted trace elects to reflect NSW angle; is it questioning the relevance of whether we should duplicate trace element levels to even match NSW in the first place …or did I interpret it wrong? ( honestly questioning my comprehension here)

added: here is another quote, not making this up

This, in turn, facilitates the removal of metals from solution. Durable, colorful, and modern kitchenware from Tupperware Catalogue.

I’m confused ….

Ron’s Article

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Christoph (or RHF or any of the regular forum brains)
I’m reading the above Ron Shimek article and had to stop here:
Except for a few elements, the concentrations of elements in the water of an average reef tank, as defined by the Tank Water Study, bear little resemblance to the concentrations of the same elements in NSW. In fact, the relationship between reef aquarium water and NSW outside of a couple of the major ions, such as sodium and calcium, is so tenuous that one could legitimately say there is NO consistent relationship

this statement struck me at least from a chasing some of the assorted trace elects to reflect NSW angle; is it questioning the relevance of whether we should duplicate trace element levels to even match NSW in the first place …or did I interpret it wrong? ( honestly questioning my comprehension here)

added: here is another quote, not making this up

This, in turn, facilitates the removal of metals from solution. Durable, colorful, and modern kitchenware from Tupperware Catalogue.

I’m confused ….

Ron’s Article

I would not take anything from Ron’s comments and articles except the actual data, which also may not be accurate. His understanding of chemistry was tenuous and always was driven by his agenda to bash salt mixes.

OP
OP
Doctorgori

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not take anything from Ron’s comments and articles except the actual data, which also may not be accurate. His understanding of chemistry was tenuous and always was driven by his agenda to bash salt mixes.
appreciate that: succinct/honest without being nasty.

If you weren’t so smart I’d say upon got a future in politics LOL

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot all about the salt mix crusade as my fond memories of those days were DSB cage matches.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 58 40.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 40 28.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 18.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back