ICP testing

OMGitsManBearPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve worked on ICP-OES machines for 15 years and after reading the threads it appears everyone just agrees with Randy because he is a chemist. If you want to know about ICP then talk to an expert on ICP and not a chemist who is likely a liberal University professor that can’t make it in the real world.

Seriously, Jacob?

You start a new account and your first two posts are to bash a cherished member of this group? I haven’t been here long, either.., but one thing I know is this: You aren’t going to get anywhere with this forum by introducing yourself as that guy. You’re probably going to want to go ahead and delete that profile and try again. Next time, be civil.

Cheers, Randy. Please know that the community does not all harbor this kind of negativity against your innumerable and valuable contributions to this forum. Thank you.

A777flygirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just sent in my water to test by triton. Maybe I should have researched more ahead of time....thought i learned that lesson....i was curious to give it as try

Anyway, i was thinking about it and it seems to me 2 weeks is a long time to wait for test results....i will have done 2 water changes in that time frame. It seems things could change in that time frame?

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just sent in my water to test by triton. Maybe I should have researched more ahead of time....thought i learned that lesson....i was curious to give it as try

Anyway, i was thinking about it and it seems to me 2 weeks is a long time to wait for test results....i will have done 2 water changes in that time frame. It seems things could change in that time frame?
Oh definitely so. You sometimes have to start acting on gut and hope that when yo receive the ICP-OES results they bear out your suspicions and course of action.

RajV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There was a reply from a dr ben that suggested other than a ph variation the samples are good at the endbof week 2

BantyRooster97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My icp test results came much faster. About 2 days after Triton received my sample, I had results. All depends on how fast you send it in. I sent mine fedex.

rkpetersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was a reply from a dr ben that suggested other than a ph variation the samples are good at the endbof week 2

Oh I see what you mean now! My Bad! I though you meant, "In 2 weeks, can conditions change in your tank?" Yes, they can, a lot!

In the sample - not so much. These are all elements being measured, as long as they don't adsorb to the plastic tubes, they can't go anywhere. :)

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly. But knowing your alkalinity when you ship your samples is useful. For example you can find a correction factor for your "hobby level" test kit. This is something many of our customers do. With Salinity it is very similar. Most people think that their Refractometer is 100% correct. Unfortunately, that is not always the case. Overall, it's more about giving people an idea of the real values and comparing this with their own measurements. And of course stability is king. This is especially important for alkalinity, but for many other parameters (abiotic and biotic factors) as well.

Greetings from Germany
Have a question. I was going to have my well water tested. I was told get a quart sample and freeze. By freezing it kills bacteria and so bacteria can't effect results of test.
Would test water that comes to you guys benefit from freezing? Let me know. Thx

Last edited:

rcpalmer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Today is 3 weeks since I mailed in my last sample to Triton. I still have not received the email saying they have the sample. It didn't take this long the last few times. Maybe Triton has shut down for the Holidays already.

rkpetersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today is 3 weeks since I mailed in my last sample to Triton. I still have not received the email saying they have the sample. It didn't take this long the last few times. Maybe Triton has shut down for the Holidays already.

Did you send it to the right address? The sticker that comes in the packaging is the wrong address (at least on the older kits that I have), and I'm not sure they're still being forwarded properly. There's a notification in red print on the Triton website, with the correct address.

rcpalmer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you send it to the right address? The sticker that comes in the packaging is the wrong address (at least on the older kits that I have), and I'm not sure they're still being forwarded properly. There's a notification in red print on the Triton website, with the correct address.
Being the most expensive ICP test you would think they would have the right address. I am trying to determine how much dosing a set amount of trace elements affects my tank. I sent in a test and started dosing. I could tell that I was not dosing enough as my trach and meat corals were shriveling up. I figured the information I would get would be more valuable in the long run. I was going to go 4 weeks before retesting. I cut it to 3 weeks because I just couldn't stand watch corals die. So I sent in another test. I adjusted the dose and it has now been another 3 weeks. I still haven't gotten the second test back. I need the do another one but if I don't get the previous results I am just shooting in the dark. So not only was the money I spent on ICP was a waist of money the couple of hundred I lost in coral was for nothing.

rkpetersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry that your sample may have gotten lost in the mail. And I agree the situation with Triton's US mailing address right now is puzzling and problematic. Supposedly stuff is being forwarded from their old address but is this still true and if so how often and for how long? I'd suggest that, if you're not entirely soured on the whole ICP-OES thing, that you try the ATI test sample kit instead of Triton. ATI will also test your RODI water.

You could start a new thread about it, but I'm not so sure that your coral issues are related to trace mineral deficiencies. If you do regular water changes with any major brand salt, you should have sufficient trace minerals. Also some of the additions that Triton automatically recommends on the analysis website might not always be a good idea. For one thing, many are easy to overdose. And some actually only need be present in truly tiny amounts to be effective.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a question. I was going to have my well water tested. I was told get a quart sample and freeze. By freezing it kills bacteria and so bacteria can't effect results of test.
Would test water that comes to you guys benefit from freezing? Let me know. Thx

We've discussed freezing with some of these companies extensively, in the context of bad changes happening rather than positive effects of killing bacteria. They even did some tests to show it doesn't cause any issues of precipitation as you concentrate the ions more and more during freezing.

In any case, I would not recommend freezing it, but it likely makes no big difference either way.

j0359m

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny you should ask! I just had a conference call today with Canada Post trying to work out a shipping option we could offer for Canadian customers. At this time only a USPS shipping label is included but we are trying to make it easy for Canadian customers. If we cannot get a postage method worked out, we may just end up with an exclusive dealer in Canada that consolidates and ships to Germany on our behalf.
so is there an exclusive dealer in Canada yet? It cost me $100 every time I send a sample to Germany + the cost of the test kit itself

ATI North America

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is not an exclusive, but I believe ReefSupplies or Aquarium Depot may both ship tests back to Germany. I am not sure however.

You are always welcomed to send it to USA instead of Germany and let us send it on your behalf.

j0359m

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is not an exclusive, but I believe ReefSupplies or Aquarium Depot may both ship tests back to Germany. I am not sure however.

You are always welcomed to send it to USA instead of Germany and let us send it on your behalf.
thanks for the reply
Reef Supplies is in Montreal & Aquarium Depot is in Mississauga, they both would take at least 3 days for Canada Post with the likelihood of the samples freezing in the winter months so those options are not viable. What is the address in USA & I’ll consider depending on overnight UPS cost
...thanks

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the reply
Reef Supplies is in Montreal & Aquarium Depot is in Mississauga, they both would take at least 3 days for Canada Post with the likelihood of the samples freezing in the winter months so those options are not viable. What is the address in USA & I’ll consider depending on overnight UPS cost
...thanks

Triton is now testing ICP at their california facility. At one time they were sending it to Germany, now it gets tested in California. I live in Pa on the other side of the country, and usually get my results back in 3 to 4 days.

ATI North America

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the reply
...thanks
ATI North America
16400 S Avalon Blvd
Gardena CA 90248

Triton is now testing ICP at their california facility. At one time they were sending it to Germany, now it gets tested in California. I live in Pa on the other side of the country, and usually get my results back in 3 to 4 days.
Just keep in mind the test results are only as good as the individual running the machine. In this case I have no idea who that is, just mentioning it because it does matter.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 29 36.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 31.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back