I'd like a remote sump and I cannot lie!!!!!!!!!!!!

MattJackson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remote sump / fish room is on the same level as DT and sump needs to be waist height.

Assuming I run the 10' section at an angle sloping down to the sump (1' vertical drop over the 10' horizontal run).

Any reason I can't do option C, which would be preferred. :):):):)

Is there some fluid dynamics / syphon principles I'm missing?

1606946097620.png

LosReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm watching out of curiosity, but I assume that there won't be enough pressure from your drain to go back up in to the sump in option C. If the drains weren't that high or there at all, then I'd think there would be enough pressure to force the siphon.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. I'm considering doing something similar when I start another tank (I'd really like to keep the sump at a workable height). Assuming that your drain lines can handle the flow from your return, I would think that any of the options would work. Option C may have slightly more resistance because of the distance traveled, but I would think it would be minimal. Of course, the lower you have the sump in comparison to the overflow, the better the syphon. The only thing that I might consider is that with options B and C, you may get some noise caused by air trapped at the top of the bends going into the sump.

OP
OP
M

MattJackson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm watching out of curiosity, but I assume that there won't be enough pressure from your drain to go back up in to the sump in option C. If the drains weren't that high or there at all, then I'd think there would be enough pressure to force the siphon.
I've been trying to search "relative sump height compared to display tank" or something similar but no luck.
I'm hoping there is a basic principle I'm missing like "as long as the the height 'A' is higher than height 'B' it will work???

OK, I'm heading outside with a hose!!!!
1606951275630.png

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All options will work, if C is your preference, the only difference you're going to have from option B is the siphon will remove more water (just because of the length of plumbing) into the sump once flow stops (feeding).

Post #4 is spot on and you definitely have a good understanding of how it's going to work.

Keep in mind that the lower your sump the easier it would be for the flow to initiate. But either option will work.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 23.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 32.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back