ID this starfish pls?

BluMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Been looking at this forum for years and years now, and this is my first ever post! I found this starfish in my tank. Looks a little like a micro bristle starfish but is clearly shaped differently from other bristle starfish pictures I've seen. Any ideas? Thank you!
IMG_2688.jpeg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Been looking at this forum for years and years now, and this is my first ever post! I found this starfish in my tank. Looks a little like a micro bristle starfish but is clearly shaped differently from other bristle starfish pictures I've seen. Any ideas? Thank you!
IMG_2688.jpeg
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

As mentioned, you have some variety of Micro Brittle Starfish - there are a lot of kinds, some more common in the hobby than others.

Ophiuroids (Brittle/Serpent Stars) can be quite difficult to ID, but the majority are harmless for a tank. If you want to try for an ID on yours, then I'd suggest getting close up pics of the top and bottom of star's central disk, and getting close up pics of the individual arms (preferably top, bottom, and side) from where they connect to the central disk to at least halfway down the arm (making sure the spines on the arms are clearly visible, as they - particularly the ones relatively close to the central disk - are frequently used for specific ID's).

Even then, no guarantees on a specific ID (I don't try to do specific ID's on ophiuroids often), but that's the best chance for one.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
These are very reef safe and eats detritus and uneaten food and one of the few welcomed in my tank

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 165 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.8%
Back