Idea for dosing refrigerated AB+

BobaF99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been trying to plan out a new tank setup and got to looking at different supplements and their requirements. I want to use Reef Energy AB+ once I get the tank up and running. I have seen some threads about using a mini fridge and dosing from it. I like the idea of having a line that has constant flow and dosing into that. My idea is a small pump in the sump, pumping to a "T" connection, then back to the sump. The Mini fridge would get a hole drilled into it, top or side, then the dosing pump would take suction from the refrigerated bottle and discharge into the bottom of the "T", possibly through a check valve to prevent back flow.

The idea would be to keep the lines from the fridge and dosing pump as short as possible to keep as much of the AB+ cool and not stagnant in dosing lines. Also considering a small magnetic stirring plate in the fridge as well. I know this has been done before, just wanted to see if my idea was feasible. I was looking at using dosing lines to RO lines and fittings at the "T". Not sure about the small pump in the sump though. Another question/concern is do the pumps, return and wave, need to be stopped when dosing AB+? If they do, I might have to run the line into the DT instead of the sump. Thoughts?

AB_Fridge.jpg

morkin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spot feed my Reef Energy twice a week with return pump off and minimal flow in the display. I also keep the skimmer of for 10 minutes after I am done.
When I was broadcast feeding with just the skimmer off for 30 minutes, I found it sent my Nitrates through the roof.

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been trying to plan out a new tank setup and got to looking at different supplements and their requirements. I want to use Reef Energy AB+ once I get the tank up and running. I have seen some threads about using a mini fridge and dosing from it. I like the idea of having a line that has constant flow and dosing into that. My idea is a small pump in the sump, pumping to a "T" connection, then back to the sump. The Mini fridge would get a hole drilled into it, top or side, then the dosing pump would take suction from the refrigerated bottle and discharge into the bottom of the "T", possibly through a check valve to prevent back flow.

The idea would be to keep the lines from the fridge and dosing pump as short as possible to keep as much of the AB+ cool and not stagnant in dosing lines. Also considering a small magnetic stirring plate in the fridge as well. I know this has been done before, just wanted to see if my idea was feasible. I was looking at using dosing lines to RO lines and fittings at the "T". Not sure about the small pump in the sump though. Another question/concern is do the pumps, return and wave, need to be stopped when dosing AB+? If they do, I might have to run the line into the DT instead of the sump. Thoughts?

AB_Fridge.jpg

I do exactly this - the fridge is in the garage and feeds the amino into the continuously pumped calcium reactor line (at the output). I do also have a garage closed loop like this (made up of a parallel set of 1/2" PEX tubes) for also running the chiller, ATO, other filters, etc. It's like a "remote not-sump" :).

OP
OP
BobaF99

BobaF99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do exactly this - the fridge is in the garage and feeds the amino into the continuously pumped calcium reactor line (at the output). I do also have a garage closed loop like this (made up of a parallel set of 1/2" PEX tubes) for also running the chiller, ATO, other filters, etc. It's like a "remote not-sump" :).
Nice! So do you turn off any pumps when dosing the amino? Also any pics?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally don’t care for that stuff and haven’t seen any benefits of using it so I wouldn’t waste my time doing a fridge or doser with it. Plenty of other aminos out there that can be dosed and not refrigerated…

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why don't you just use those simple electric cup holders that keep your drink cold. The AB plus container fits perfectly inside a cold cup holder in your cabinet.

download.jpeg

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't turn off any pumps. Will post pictures of the nightmare later.

Why don't you just use those simple electric cup holders that keep your drink cold. The AB plus container fits perfectly inside a cold cup holder in your cabinet.

Nice idea. Also much smaller. The peltier junction coolers are crap in efficiency (the cheapest mini fridge is orders of magnitude better overall) however.

That said my amnio bottle sits in a one of those peltier micro-fridges. Ask me how I know abou the constant power suck ;)

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dosing fridge and tubing drilled into it. Didn't end up with an inside picture.

IMG_5920.jpeg

The doser pumps sit on the shelf above and feed through the yellow line into the black line, which is the Ca reactor effluent:
IMG_5921.jpeg

The closed loop is barely visible here, but comes in from the tank, through the UV behind on the left there, and splits between the chiller and all the accessory ports. The little manifolds (bottom left) are how I take loop water and return loop water back to the system.
IMG_5923.jpeg

OP
OP
BobaF99

BobaF99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dosing fridge and tubing drilled into it. Didn't end up with an inside picture.

IMG_5920.jpeg

The doser pumps sit on the shelf above and feed through the yellow line into the black line, which is the Ca reactor effluent:
IMG_5921.jpeg

The closed loop is barely visible here, but comes in from the tank, through the UV behind on the left there, and splits between the chiller and all the accessory ports. The little manifolds (bottom left) are how I take loop water and return loop water back to the system.
IMG_5923.jpeg
Hell yea, that's exactly what I had in mind!!

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally don’t care for that stuff and haven’t seen any benefits of using it so I wouldn’t waste my time doing a fridge or doser with it. Plenty of other aminos out there that can be dosed and not refrigerated…
I'm not a fan of the supplement either.

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hell yea, that's exactly what I had in mind!!
As a quick note: don't use push to connect fittings for the doser suction line - they're often not vacuum tight and won't self seal. I used RO tubing here for the bottle feed, but used a compression fitting to attach it to the silicone doser line.

OP
OP
BobaF99

BobaF99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a quick note: don't use push to connect fittings for the doser suction line - they're often not vacuum tight and won't self seal. I used RO tubing here for the bottle feed, but used a compression fitting to attach it to the silicone doser line.

So, in my "drawing" below. Blue would be RO tubing, black is RO to silicone tubing adaptors, red is silicone tubing. The red bend is the dosing pump.

Attachments

• AB_FridgeV2.jpg
    AB_FridgeV2.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 6

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 7 7.9%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 36 40.4%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 45 50.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back