Ideas for a 65 tall

coralnoob22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just transferred my livestock to a new 65 tall and I’m looking to fill out the tank with a couple fish with some color and a real centerpiece fish.

I will also have a mixed reef, mostly LPS.

I do have lids for the jumpers.

My current stock is:
2- Ocellaris Clownfish
1- Orchid Dottyback
1- Yasha Goby
Various CUC, hermits, snails.

I don’t have a very deep sandbed 3/4-1” but I could add some.

Could I possibly get clearance from the tang police for a Tomini, Scopas, Kole, or a Yellow?

cdemoss01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just transferred my livestock to a new 65 tall and I’m looking to fill out the tank with a couple fish with some color and a real centerpiece fish.

I will also have a mixed reef, mostly LPS.

I do have lids for the jumpers.

My current stock is:
2- Ocellaris Clownfish
1- Orchid Dottyback
1- Yasha Goby
Various CUC, hermits, snails.

I don’t have a very deep sandbed 3/4-1” but I could add some.

Could I possibly get clearance from the tang police for a Tomini, Scopas, Kole, or a Yellow?
Same here. Trying to get clearance for a yellow.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love those dimensions. I don't like it for a tang.

I would add a little more sand and add a Halichoere wrasse like chryus, biocellatus, or claudia and pick a dwarf angel.
I wouldn’t add a Halichoeres chrysus or claudia however, a H. biocellatus or H. leucoxanthus would likely work. Although the two others you mentioned are small Halichoeres I’ve found they can be boisterous unless in a 4’ tank long term.

OP
OP
C

coralnoob22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m interested in wrasses, is there a good resource for their needs/habitat? Would they school if I bought say, 3 pink streaked wrasses?

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To the OP, I have two Clown Fish, Five to Six RBT, a Two Spot Tang, Three Green Chromis, and a Neon Dottyback in an Aquarium with the same dimensions. Also an overgrowth of corals. Snails, one Tuxedo Urchin, and a bunch of Blue Leg Hermits. Tang is doing great.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m interested in wrasses, is there a good resource for their needs/habitat? Would they school if I bought say, 3 pink streaked wrasses?
I’ve tried a trio in a tank size similar to yours. They do group - they are not a schooling fish but are a shoaling fish instead.

Honestly, keeping pink streaks (or any wrasse) in pairs isn’t recommended unless you know the differences between males and females as almost all wrasse transition to male at some point even if there’s an existing male. You also need to be prepared to go in with a net and separate them if it goes wrong.

For information on wrasses, there’s a few articles on here that go in depth over a few different genera of wrasses. Pink Streaks, Fairies, Flashers, Halichoeres are the ones I believe are done currently.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dimensions are 48.5” W x 12.75” D x 25” H. not sure about the poster though.
In that tank, I wouldn’t even do a medium wrasse personally as the depth to turn in is too shallow. Had it been 4’L x2’W x1’H a smaller tang and wrasses would be alright. But due to the 1’ depth, you’re limiting yourself to calm swimming fish that won’t need to turn at a somewhat fast speed.

OP
OP
C

coralnoob22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I’ll be picking up a Two Spot, a trio of Green Chromis, and a pink streak in the near future. Any tips on the order I should introduce them?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I’ll be picking up a Two Spot, a trio of Green Chromis, and a pink streak in the near future. Any tips on the order I should introduce them?
If the Two Spot is a tang, leave it. Even Ctenochaetus species tend to stress in 3’ long tanks - 4’ is the minimum for any tang (unless being rehomed when too big or if used as a QT) honestly.

Pink streaks should be added first before any larger much more active fish are added. I find they stress when added to a too active tank and even a small bit of aggression from species like damsels or chromis can lead to their downfall.

OP
OP
C

coralnoob22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the Two Spot is a tang, leave it. Even Ctenochaetus species tend to stress in 3’ long tanks - 4’ is the minimum for any tang (unless being rehomed when too big or if used as a QT) honestly.

Pink streaks should be added first before any larger much more active fish are added. I find they stress when added to a too active tank and even a small bit of aggression from species like damsels or chromis can lead to their downfall.
I bought an acclimation box as I’ve read they’re beneficial when introducing new tank mates, would you recommend their use? If so, for how long?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought an acclimation box as I’ve read they’re beneficial when introducing new tank mates, would you recommend their use? If so, for how long?
Honestly, even with acclimation boxes or similar I’ve struggled when it comes to pink streaks.

With Pink Streaks, even when in the tank via an acclimation box they’re usually ignored until they get put in the tank and start going towards the rocks. This is when your rock dwelling fish become territorial and usually stress out these wrasses too much.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back