Identification and solution. Bryopsis? Cladophorosis? Something else?

dumroll

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi R2R Team,

I've been battling a nuisance algae for a little bit now. I initially thought it was bryopsis but have tried fluconazole with no luck. I have tried manual removal which will remove the amount initially but always comes back. I have also implemented reduced feeding by reducing total food given as well as switching feeding to every other day.

It's on a rock with zoas so can't just remove it from the tank... Would appreciate it if anyone could help identify and maybe provide some possible solutions? The tank currently has a tomini tank and a heap of turbo and 2 trochus as CUC.

PXL_20230423_234456927.jpg

Whatever it is, it kind of reminds me of java moss that you see in freshwater tanks. Thanks in advance!

PXL_20230423_234456927.jpg PXL_20230423_234507192.jpg

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what type of algae, but an urchin will eat it. My longspines eat every type of algae, even bryopsis. They completely stripped my tank clean in about 2 weeks time, and I pull bryopsis and caulerpa from the sump to feed them now nightly.

OP
OP
dumroll

dumroll

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what type of algae, but an urchin will eat it. My longspines eat every type of algae, even bryopsis. They completely stripped my tank clean in about 2 weeks time, and I pull bryopsis and caulerpa from the sump to feed them now nightly.
thanks, I've been thinking about getting one so might look into it!

OP
OP
dumroll

dumroll

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumping this post again as the problem is still persisting even after getting an urchin. The next thing on my list is probably a refugium for extra nutrient control but anyone have any ideas what this could be? TIA!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back