Identify algae and solution

Mac01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi -
I have a new reef tank that is about 5 months old.
Currently a (4) fish only tank with inverts.
No corals
I used live sand, but not live rocks.
I have not seeded any coralline algae spores. There are a few picture that seems to have purple on the rocks (so unclear if it made it in somehow).

Goal is to grow coralline algae - but seem to have green algae problem.

Can someone please help identify what this green algae is and what I can do - I can turn off lights if needed. I noticed the green algae sometimes turn black or looks to even turn white as parts of rock used to be green, then white.

Thanks

20240516_085133.jpg 20240516_085347.jpg 20240516_085631.jpg 20240516_100616.jpg

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Green algae like that is super super common in new (less than 1 year old) new tanks and not generally a cause for concern. I'd recommend keeping an eye on your water chemistry to ensure nitrate and phosphate stay under control, and add a cleanup crew to keep it under control as well. Trochus snails are my favorite, they are relentless algae eaters and can breed in our tanks.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with TX_REEF! Just new tank algae, nothing to worry about at all. But a good CUC will help make sure things do not get out of control. I like cerith snails as well as trochus, they are both great for algae.

OP
OP
M

Mac01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice.

What type of snails would work as I already have Trochus and crabs, and a fire shrimp.

Any other suggestions would be great.

I've also reduced feeding and shut off the light, but the light is something that can't be permanent once I add Corals.

Back