If you could live anywhere in the U.S.

npaul65

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've lived all over the US (as well as in Europe) with the military. When I retired, I settled down in Clarksville, TN. Tennessee is absolutely beautiful...nice summers and mild winters! Clarksville in about 30-35 minutes from Nashville, TN and about 40 minutes from the Nashville airport. Also, the people in Tennessee are some of the friendliest I've ever encountered in all my worldly travels!

I'm originally from Ohio...but no plans on going back! Too freakin' cold...

Also...they have a nice reef club community...MTRC...that seems pretty active! Clarksville has a reef store as well as several within an hour around the Nashville surrounding areas!

BTW...very economical for housing with great communities at all price ranges! Great cost of living as well.
Hey Idoc I'm from Ohio and except 2 months it's not that bad here

Roy 9121

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basically, pay $250-300k for a 4 bedroom, 2+ bathroom home with a 2 car garage. 1,800+ sq ft.

And yes, I know I just eliminated the entire west coast. And probably most of the east coast as well. ;)

I'd be OK living in the SE U.S. somewhere, but would be open to other affordable options as well. :)
I've heard you can get a great deal on a house in Detriot.

jwshiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2nd that, I have a place in the keys, Islamorada, I just have to work on the mainland to support it and the boat.
My wife and I thought about it, but the cost of maintaining a reef tank precludes me. I make the drive a few times a year from Jacksonville to fish/dive. I love Islamorida. Annual guys only trip every spring, mile marker 74.

Last edited:

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love Carmel Indiana, Fishers Indiana, etc. Northern central Indiana has a very very low cost of living, great local economy, low taxes, very affordable housing (my 5 bed 3.5 bath 4430 sq foot house is worth $350,000 or so and 500k will but you the Taj Mahal), and you're close to the indianapolis international airport where you can go anywhere. It's the crossroads of America. Chicago, Cincinnati, Louisville, etc are all within about 2-2.5 hours. Downtown Indianapolis is about 25-30 away.

We fared well during the housing market crisis, much better than most if not all states. Very stable.

Oh and fishers and Carmel are one and two of the safest cities to raise a family

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/...es-top-spot-safest-cities-kids-list/86553612/

Last edited:

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the great suggestions, everyone. If everything pans out, my wife & I will be taking a big road trip based on your suggestions. :)
Does that mean you haven't put in an offer on the house I linked? :(

:p:D

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where would it be??

Assuming you could telecommute/work remotely.

Only two requirements:
  1. It must be in an affordable area.
  2. It must be within 30-45 mins of a decent airport. I.e. I need to receive weekly livestock shipments from Los Angeles, so no more than 1 layover from there.

Uhhh Dallas!!!!!!! I would be SO on board with helping with your business!! Volunteer!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest, I think New Orleans (where I'm from) is gonna be high on my list if this all comes to fruition.

But the boss (my wife) is insisting we give all other options due consideration. She's one crawfish hating lady! :D

3mm3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest, I think New Orleans (where I'm from) is gonna be high on my list if this all comes to fruition.

But the boss (my wife) is insisting we give all other options due consideration. She's one crawfish hating lady! :D

If you like the south I would suggest you look in Spanish fort alabama area.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
House across the street just go foreclosed on for 108k 4 bed, 10 minutes from the airport house normally goes for 242k and up.[emoji6] bank still owns the house.

cowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish what ever you do don't go to New Mexico, cost of living is cheap but that's about it. If I could to my wife into it I would already be back in Louisiana probably the Houma or Thibodaux area love it down that way other than the fact your gonna get fat.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the deserts of the Southwest, but a big part of the equation is what climate are you looking for? Are you looking for urban, suburban, or rural life?

We're open to compromise on that. I just don't wanna be in a really big city with crazy traffic and overinflated home prices.

Back