If you could redo your sump, what would you do?

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to build a sump out of a 40 breeder and would love some suggestions if you were to change something. Currently thinking filter sock, skimmer, return section, refugium.. can't really decide.

thewbell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar layout in my sump and I am in the process of changing it around.

Old:

Drain/Skimmer>bubble trap>return>refugium (fed by open channel drain and 1/2" line from return)

This is from the initial fill of the tank last year for the leak test and heating the RODI water for mixing salt.
IMG_0242.JPG

New:

Drain/Skimmer>bubble trap>Refugium>Return

With the old layout I never felt like the fuge got enough flow for the chaeto to really work and I could never get it to move at all. I have the new layout set up with the water entering the bottom of the fuge and flowing over the top to exit to the return section. Hopefully this way I can get my chaeto to tumble and also wash a few more pods into the display.

Larry Stewart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most sumps I built in the past seemed to have a sufficient amount of water flow/volume. However, I felt like having a DSB - deep sand bed section would cause my chemistry to more stable.

- Larry

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar layout in my sump and I am in the process of changing it around.

Old:

Drain/Skimmer>bubble trap>return>refugium (fed by open channel drain and 1/2" line from return)

This is from the initial fill of the tank last year for the leak test and heating the RODI water for mixing salt.
IMG_0242.JPG

New:

Drain/Skimmer>bubble trap>Refugium>Return

With the old layout I never felt like the fuge got enough flow for the chaeto to really work and I could never get it to move at all. I have the new layout set up with the water entering the bottom of the fuge and flowing over the top to exit to the return section. Hopefully this way I can get my chaeto to tumble and also wash a few more pods into the display.
I originally had the idea you have now, I was thinking to fix the flow problems I would use water from the return off a manifold.
I also was even thinking of something like this..

IMG_0056.PNG

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%

Back