If you pH is less than 7.8, your pH meter is probably wrong

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is one area, I am not a chemist so no expert, but I do know opening windows to get air flow will usually raise ph in my tank because of reduction in co2 in house. House is tightly sealed two adults, two dogs, cat and bird. Also was using calcium reactor so tank commonly went below 7.8 at night. I would say ph meters need calibration and cleaning if you keep one in the tank or sump. Spending lots of money to raise your ph a couple tenths is waste of money. I would say you should have verification on most testing equipment before making major changes. Even Hanna has solutions to verify many of their meters. Observation is a good tool for noticing if something is off. I use to keep ph calibration fluid on hand for checking ph meter even before calibrating. I don't even bother testing ph anymore.

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a pH meter you recommend? I have tried two hand probes and they were not consistent. The HANNA devices seem to get less than good reviews. I do not have an APEX yet. Suggestions?

OP
OP
arking_mark

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a pH meter you recommend? I have tried two hand probes and they were not consistent. The HANNA devices seem to get less than good reviews. I do not have an APEX yet. Suggestions?

I don't. I'm using a GHL probe for pH...how accurate it is I'm not sure.

However, it's consistent enough with it's reading and probably in the right ballpark for keeping my tank stable.

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't. I'm using a GHL probe for pH...how accurate it is I'm not sure.

However, it's consistent enough with it's reading and probably in the right ballpark for keeping my tank stable.
Same here, agree, ballpark is all needed unless geeking out and really trying to maximize growth by nailing all parameters for some reason... even then fussing and tinkering can have the opposite result intended! Lol

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.5%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.1%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 157 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back