NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my most recent Reef this is my first addition. Build thread coming soon.

"Show me what you got!"

Riptide-7951.jpg
i had some wild caught black sun coral on my rock and idk where it went. i think my filefish ate it.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This mad it through the cycle and all that’s pretty impressive! What’s the tank look like how and how long has it been running for
Corals aren’t affected by low levels of ammonia or nitrite (in fact corals can use ammonia as a source of nitrogen the same way they use nitrates and phosphates, and there is some evidence they may actually prefer it). I wouldn’t recommend inexperienced aquarists add corals to new or still cycling tanks (just because of the general instability), but corals are not fish, they don’t respirate the way animals that have hemoglobin do, so ammonia isn’t really an issue.

The tank is now 8 months old, and is dealing with a Derbesia outbreak (currently dosing fluconazole). Here’s what it looked the other day (before the fluconazole), you can see that orange Rhodactis sort of in the middle near the candy cane:

Attachments

• EDBB5D57-0A6F-4688-B48F-65420C70542B.jpeg
    EDBB5D57-0A6F-4688-B48F-65420C70542B.jpeg
    192.6 KB · Views: 34
OP
OP
RiptideAquaculture

RiptideAquaculture

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
OP
OP
RiptideAquaculture

RiptideAquaculture

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Thanks!
There is an aurora goby and a female mocha clown somewhere in there…the mocha killed my male occy.
In qt I have a royal gramma and I’m undecided on my 4th fish, maybe a blenny or damsel?
id recommend not getting a damsel. they can become aggressive. as for blenny what kind are you considering?

OP
OP
RiptideAquaculture

RiptideAquaculture

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Corals aren’t affected by low levels of ammonia or nitrite (in fact corals can use ammonia as a source of nitrogen the same way they use nitrates and phosphates, and there is some evidence they may actually prefer it). I wouldn’t recommend inexperienced aquarists add corals to new or still cycling tanks (just because of the general instability), but corals are not fish, they don’t respirate the way animals that have hemoglobin do, so ammonia isn’t really an issue.

The tank is now 8 months old, and is dealing with a Derbesia outbreak (currently dosing fluconazole). Here’s what it looked the other day (before the fluconazole), you can see that orange Rhodactis sort of in the middle near the candy cane:
your tank is looking quite healthy so id say keep up the good work! thats a pretty good treatment for dealing with the issue your dealing with. is this your first tank. seems like your experienced.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
id recommend not getting a damsel. they can become aggressive. as for blenny what kind are you considering?
That’s my concern for most damsels. Anything I’d get would have to be the most peaceful species (I do have a particularly mean clown though…).
For a blenny it would likely be a barnacle blenny or a tailspot.
Or by some miracle I’ll come across the red rooster Pygmy wasp…

OP
OP
RiptideAquaculture

RiptideAquaculture

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
That’s my concern for most damsels. Anything I’d get would have to be the most peaceful species (I do have a particularly mean clown though…).
For a blenny it would likely be a barnacle blenny or a tailspot.
Or by some miracle I’ll come across the red rooster Pygmy wasp…
understandable I've always liked he tailspot benny they seen to b very good tank mates.
what side tank do you have?

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your tank is looking quite healthy so id say keep up the good work! thats a pretty good treatment for dealing with the issue your dealing with. is this your first tank. seems like your experienced.
No, not my first tank, I’ve been keeping reef tanks for over 20 years. I got out of the hobby like three years ago due to health issues and went tankless for around 2 years, and the set this one up back in Jan.

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your aren't wrong! that's a very small tank. impressive non the less that you are having luck with it. that goes to show your consistency and dedication to the reefing hobby.

Did you just decide to pat everybody on the back or is this market research? Lol
Don’t get me wrong, the positivity is refreshing :)

OP
OP
RiptideAquaculture

RiptideAquaculture

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Did you just decide to pat everybody on the back or is this market research? Lol
Don’t get me wrong, the positivity is refreshing :)
I Like to give positive vibes out in general plus its true man a 13.5 gallon isnt a easy tank to take care of. it requires alot of attention. its not this like is a roast your reef page or anything.

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Like to give positive vibes out in general plus its true man a 13.5 gallon isnt a easy tank to take care of. it requires alot of attention. its not this like is a roast your reef page or anything.

No no, I wasn't singling out this particular post. I was just saying that you've taken the time to respond to every post in a positive way. It's impressive.

OP
OP
RiptideAquaculture

RiptideAquaculture

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
No no, I wasn't singling out this particular post. I was just saying that you've taken the time to respond to every post in a positive way. It's impressive.
thank you, we are always trying to help the reefers any way we can! being positive helps alittle as well

OP
OP
RiptideAquaculture

RiptideAquaculture

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
This started in my wifes 32G Biocube in mid year 2020 .... I have my own little Waterbox Peninsula Mini 15 now and he is in there recovering.
Waterbox Peninsula Mini 15 ive never seen one of those. got any pic of it? im always impressed with what people do with the Nano tanks

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 17 10.6%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 26.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 78 48.4%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 12.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back