Also try hatching baby brine shrimp super easy
IMG_0839.jpeg

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brine shrimp, I see it in every LFS so no problem with them but I'm only really worried about the culture is this really required?
Only if you have filters feeder oyster s bio values . Feather dusters . Coral . Barnacles . Clams . Sea squirts . Ext

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have all of that... But I have that in my reef DT too and they survive without any plankton dosing
You need to dose plankton it is natural in the sea environment you would be surprised how many things use it
Also I use salfert liquid coral food it is for filter feeders
IMG_0929.jpeg

OP
OP
littlehermit0

littlehermit0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to dose plankton it is natural in the sea environment you would be surprised how many things use it
Also I use salfert liquid coral food it is for filter feeders
IMG_0929.jpeg
I get it now, but is seachem plankton good? It's the only thing I find in LFS but I believe there's more I just don't have corals only anemones so I don't look for these

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get it now but is seachem plankton good?
Don’t know I’ve never used it
What does it say on the bottle seachem always say there stuff is brilliant but normally not brilliant Prime is one case in point

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t know I’ve never used it
What does it say on the bottle seachem always say there stuff is brilliant but normally not brilliant Prime is one case in point
Yeah pretty sure you are basically dumping waste into your tank with it.

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get it now, but is seachem plankton good? It's the only thing I find in LFS but I believe there's more I just don't have corals only anemones so I don't look for these
Get live plankton
Don’t waste your money like

twentyleagues said​

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Years ago I was culturing pods there was almost no reaction to dead phyto added to the culture tank other than nutrient levels going up. Putting live phyto had immediate pod response. They would flood the water column from the bottom (the ones that swam anyway) in the benthic pod culture they would be crawling everywhere on the glass up the sides. I didnt have much luck with culturing my own phyto. Things I know now like culture pure single strains and make sure to properly sterilize all culture equipment would have gone a long way to helping me be successful, but I also didnt have a lot of free time and would forget to add fertilizer or would wait to long to harvest. Luckily I had someone local that cultured phyto so it wasnt super expensive for me to get a gallon of mixed phyto.

OP
OP
littlehermit0

littlehermit0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Years ago I was culturing pods there was almost no reaction to dead phyto added to the culture tank other than nutrient levels going up. Putting live phyto had immediate pod response. They would flood the water column from the bottom (the ones that swam anyway) in the benthic pod culture they would be crawling everywhere on the glass up the sides. I didnt have much luck with culturing my own phyto. Things I know now like culture pure single strains and make sure to properly sterilize all culture equipment would have gone a long way to helping me be successful, but I also didnt have a lot of free time and would forget to add fertilizer or would wait to long to harvest. Luckily I had someone local that cultured phyto so it wasnt super expensive for me to get a gallon of mixed phyto.
I'll try to find the culture in that case, for now I only know about the brine shrimp, but isn't it possible to collect it straight from the ocean?

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely don't use this.

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll try to find the culture in that case, for now I only know about the brine shrimp, but isn't it possible to collect it straight from the ocean?
I use natural sea water and there might be a tiny bit in it .. But the problem is you filter feeders need lots of plankton too survive

OP
OP
littlehermit0

littlehermit0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use natural sea water and there might be a tiny bit in it .. But the problem is you filter feeders need lots of plankton too survive
For now I'm just gonna stress about the plankton for no reason and tell y'all if I find something when I'll be back home from vacation, so tomorrow
Also I have a ton of copepods will they eat that too? Amphipods, isopods are in my tank too, but I never use any of that stuff and somehow everything is doing great I just try to naturally get these like the copepods that randomly appeared

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For now I'm just gonna stress about the plankton for no reason and tell y'all if I find something when I'll be back home from vacation, so tomorrow
Also I have a ton of copepods will they eat that too? Amphipods, isopods are in my tank too, but I never use any of that stuff and somehow everything is doing great I just try to naturally get these like the copepods that randomly appeared
Yes, they will definitely eat copepods.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 6 11.3%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 15 28.3%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 25 47.2%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 6 11.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back