Im interested to know...

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you dose your reef tank?Do you do 2 part,all individual,dosing pumps,kalk reactors,or do you even dose?

What do you have best luck with?

I want to start Kalk with simple dosing the Mag with a mag additive off to the side of the Kalk which put in Ca and Alk in the system.

What I plan on doing is a ATO top off with teh Alk tied in to the set up,all Ill have to do is,figure out the right amount on my tank then increase as coral grow and as I include more.

See any problems with that?Anybody use Kalk,or a Ca reactor?

arnaldo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i use kalk and an aqualifter i drip a drop per second 24/7 and add teckm mag once a week. but remember to adjust your mag from 1250ppm to 1350ppm and set your alk to proper level.:look_down:

divewsharks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use dosing pumps on my Apex to add alk & ca to my system, I manually add mg once a week if needed.

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use an AquaLifter pump for my top off, controlled through my Apex. The RO goes through my Precision Marine Kalk Reactor, then to my tank. This helps keep my calcium up, pH steady, and kH steady. I dose Magnesium manually right now, about 30-50 ml every 4-5 days or so. I generally measure everything every 4-5 days right now, as I'm close to switching to my maintenance dose on Vodka.

I'm a big fan of Kalk reactors. I've had the Geo and the Precision Marine, and they are both top notch.

fsn77

Dad of 2 future hobbyists
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use to dose alk through my ATO (1 tsp of Seachem Reef Builder per gallon of top-off water, constantly mixed by a MJ 900, 90g non-Acro reef, ~1g evaporation / day). It worked really well for me. I then dosed calcium and magnesium manually as needed. There's lots of coralline algae everywhere, and what I consider nice growth of LPS and Montis.

Just over a year ago, I switched to a calcium reactor (Geo). No complaints at all about it.

subielover

Renegade reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use kalkwasser in my top-off water fed through an auto-top off to my sps dominated tank, it keeps my alk and ca very stable. I also manually dose Mg. once a week or so.

DBarsotti

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
120g SPS reef using drews dosing pumps hooked into my Aquacontroller dosing B-ionic 2 part Throughout the night to keep Ph Stable..

I have recently purchased some BRS 2-part to try it out since i am going through a lot of 2 part..

OP
OP
clowns101

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use kalkwasser in my top-off water fed through an auto-top off to my sps dominated tank, it keeps my alk and ca very stable. I also manually dose Mg. once a week or so.

How well are your SPS ggrowing?Was it hard to tune into your system,this is what I want to do.

subielover

Renegade reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How well are your SPS ggrowing?Was it hard to tune into your system,this is what I want to do.
They are growing like weeds, I am serious, since starting to use kalk with my ato (about 2 months) my sps growth has really exploded! It was very easy to fine tune the system, I use 2 tsp per gallon of top-off water. The ATO kicks on whenever the water level gets a little low, my Ca. stays rock solid right around 430 and my alk maintains itself right around 9. My ph fluctuates from 8.1-8.5 daily according to my ACIII. You won't be sorry if you use kalkwasser, I swear by the stuff now!

OP
OP
clowns101

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see,so how do I know what I need to put into my ATO?Like what did you start out with when you started Kalk?Right now I have very little SPS,they have all passes on me,I plan on adding some Birdsnest to help me use the Ca and such that I will be adding.

Thanks for your help!

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drip a gallon of Kalk a day which keeps my Cal up. My Alk on the other hand I have to dump two part in there in huge amounts just to keep up with it. My Mag I add every once and a while and it is pretty stable. I am wondering if all my clams are the big Alk consumers.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 34 26.4%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 27 20.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back