im new to marine tanks and would like advice please

mattiwright

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi im new to keeping marine fish tanks ive had several tropical fresh water tanks including malawi tanks but thought id start a new venture i have a 3ft x 1.5ft x 1.5ft tank which holds roughly 192 litres i am gettting the water in couple days time from a freind who does his own water and currently have a fluval 304 external filter with only bio balls in it im going to add floss carbon and sponge as well as phosphorate remover so i dont get a high level of phosphorate straight away i also have a red sea prism skimmer and 2000lph wavemaker what is the best shrimp,crabs and other critters to getfor the clean up crew and which fish are best for begginers plz
thank you in advance for all the help that i recieve

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R, we'll try and help you out as much as possible. The biggest and most significant step you can take with a new saltwater tank is to take your time. If you're just getting started, you won't need that clean-up crew for awhile yet. I personally prefer a mixture of snails and hermit crabs as a clean-up crew; turbo snails, nassarius snails, blue-legged and white hermits. Tiny brittle stars are also an excellent addition if you can find them. I you planning on fish only, fish only with live rock, or a reef system? I ask because the red sea skimmer is not a great skimmer. Probably ok for fish only or fish only with LR, but if you are considering a reef, I would get a better skimmer. Hope that helps.

1tyme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome. Check out Freshmarine.com . Also Mrsaltwater on youtube. Vivid aquariums.I have spent days reading and watching vids. Be patient. Buy good stuff. And yes ask Questions. Good luck. Happy reefing. God Bless.

revsgirl

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Welcome to R2R and the hobby! I hope you'll find everything you need to know right here! :)

caudill187

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great advice so far. Patience, open mindedness. Keep up with water changes! Don't overfeed. Buy the nicest equipment you can buy (or end up buying a few cheaper ones, then buying the nice one anyway :). If you want to buy one nice item, make it a nice skimmer. You are certainly in the right place for advice on R2R....lots of experience in these part.

Oh and I would also recommend reading "the conscientious marine aquarist" by Bob Fenner. There are several other "bibles" of reefkeeping floating around that would be worth it. Then, if you are confused, ask questions here as you are already doing, rather than screw it up, like I usually do :)

Hermits and Mexican or zebra turbo snails will earn their keep for sure. Tangs are also a must for algae control, in my experience.

OP
OP
M

mattiwright

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im having a fish only with live rock tank wat sort of hermit crabs the best and im also looking into getting a boxing shrimp but wud i be able to keep any other cleaner shrimp with it in my 3 foot tank

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

• I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

• I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

• Other.

Back