Impact of Heterotrophic Bacteria on Alkalinity?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha cool. Yes I feel confident in my alk testing, only one step and I've repeated tests multiple times and almost always get within 0.1 of prior test. Do you think I should just use baking soda?

I'd first use the kit on some new salt water, and if that came out right, I'd boost alk. Since you have the other already, it's not a problem to use it for a while. Just switch when its gone. Switching now is also a fine plan.

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Follow Randy's recipe on Baking soda. Just dosing baking soda may work, but it's hard to measure out side a liquid solution. I always add baked baking soda (raises ph vs. just unbaked baking soda, which may lower or not do anything to ph) per Randy's recipe to my doser container and fill with RODI water. In solution I can measure how much alkalinity is being added and maintain consistency. If you have a daily consumption (despite no corals) then dosing a mixed liquid with baking soda even once per day would raise your alk daily or keep it stable. I also thought if magnesium was low there'd be a tough time maintaining a calcium and alk balance. May benefit to test your new water alk, calcium, and mg just to be sure. I use NYOS or red sea test kits for calcium and mg. You don't need to test often, so you could even use a LFS to test them for a one off test. My Kits usually expire before I use more than 3-4 tests.

As to what consumes it, I'd also add wouldn't Coraline algae consume alk as well? I could be wrong. Just throwing it out there as another possibility.

Also, another aspect to check would be your salinity. Check with different salinity checkers just to make sure it's close. If you're salinity is low, you may have a tougher time maintaining the chemistry as well.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back