Important findings according how to store open bottles of the reagent for Hanna Marine alkalinity checkers

HomebroodExotics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ran into this problem myself. I have been noticing the green snot in the bottles and noticed some inconsistencies in my tests so I started just using sera drops for alk and everythings been great. Decided to try the hanna kit again and I noticed the green snot in the bottle and my test came out a lot lower than expected. So swapped to a new bottle of reagent and my dkh read 1 point higher. Pretty disappointing so I will stick with the one bottle sera kit which is much more reliable.

tritonpower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m also finding the results are consistent but are a full 1dkh above Salifert, are you finding that the Hanna gives a higher reading than Salifert?
No. my tests are the same as salifert now that I put the solution in the fridge. Before I started this, the readings were lower than salifert after a few weeks of opening the bottle.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update

I open one bottle the 14/5 this year and it had expiration data november this year. Lot 9576- Stored in refrigerator all the time. It was nearly empty and i notice that i was som precipitation in the sample after adding the reagent. I open a new bottle, and confirm that the old was around 0.5 low. Both with KH director and Tropic Marine pro test. So - in spit of store it cold - there could be drifts. But I saw it clearly - it was like a green skin floating in the sample

Sincerely Lasse
Update

Bottle I opened on 31/8/22 (lot 9993 exp 05/23) I just finished and it has been consistent compared to manual HCl/pH titration until I finished today.

Has been kept refrigerated at 4C at all times since opening.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 69 70.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back