In the subject of power supplies

Reefer_kano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So one of my weaknesses when it comes to DYI projects is in the electrical part of things so I need some help...

I'm trying to get a back up power supply system for my tank.

I like to keep my return pump vectra L2, 2 MP40 and maybe a 300 w heater going for several hrs.

I need it to be automatic due to I work long hrs

What would be my best options.
Can you guys put links,pics, explain with details.

I was looking at this but not sure if it will be enough or not. Will it work or not....
CyberPower PR1500LCD Smart App Sinewave UPS System, 1500VA/1500W, 8 Outlets, AVR, Mini-Tower https://a.co/d/9bfBCUz

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A home computer system UPS is designed to provide short team power to allow you to finish up work and shutdown all equipment in a controlled manner. It also provides surge protection, voltage regulation and acts as inverter (converts DC battery to AC for equipment) and notifications/alarms. Most of which isn't needed for aquarium backup if you're using DC pumps. It will work but for much shorter time unless it has dc ports (can't tell from quick glance) or you hack into the box and install take-off ports directly from battery (not really recommended on new stuff)

Electric heat is terribly inefficient and requires significant power to use. If heating is required you're probably looking at a deep cycle battery system (think of home off grid power supplies). Most people don't include heaters into battery backup plans for the first several hours. Those are for long term plans which usually require small gas generators. I don't have a generator as I've only lost power for 2 hours at most last ten years. This is all a cost-benefit-risk calculation after all.

A UPS is also going to cost quite a bit more than just buying the EcoTech battery backup. Which is what I'd recommend just to keep flow going. And I wouldn't worry about return flow for several hours, it'll just cool off everything faster without the heater and there's nothing you need in the sump for the first several hours.

There are some nifty very simple DIY battery backups designs/walk-throughs on YouTube. These use Lithium batteries and you can by the charger/float system to keep battery in best shape. But if you're not big into electronics/DIY - just by an OTS battery backup designed for aquarists.

Good luck!

OP
OP
Reefer_kano

Reefer_kano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A home computer system UPS is designed to provide short team power to allow you to finish up work and shutdown all equipment in a controlled manner. It also provides surge protection, voltage regulation and acts as inverter (converts DC battery to AC for equipment) and notifications/alarms. Most of which isn't needed for aquarium backup if you're using DC pumps. It will work but for much shorter time unless it has dc ports (can't tell from quick glance) or you hack into the box and install take-off ports directly from battery (not really recommended on new stuff)

Electric heat is terribly inefficient and requires significant power to use. If heating is required you're probably looking at a deep cycle battery system (think of home off grid power supplies). Most people don't include heaters into battery backup plans for the first several hours. Those are for long term plans which usually require small gas generators. I don't have a generator as I've only lost power for 2 hours at most last ten years. This is all a cost-benefit-risk calculation after all.

A UPS is also going to cost quite a bit more than just buying the EcoTech battery backup. Which is what I'd recommend just to keep flow going. And I wouldn't worry about return flow for several hours, it'll just cool off everything faster without the heater and there's nothing you need in the sump for the first several hours.

There are some nifty very simple DIY battery backups designs/walk-throughs on YouTube. These use Lithium batteries and you can by the charger/float system to keep battery in best shape. But if you're not big into electronics/DIY - just by an OTS battery backup designed for aquarists.

Good luck!
Ok, I'm going to look into that.
I've seen the EcoTech backups but I've also seen alot of them being sold used which makes me think that they either don't last long or something wrong with them.

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cost to performance ratio, buying something like an lfp ecoflow or similar with built in ups will be your best bet.
The higher wh/kwh the better since it represents how many watts of continuous use per hour is available (1500 wh = ~1500 watts continuously for 1 hour)
Ecotechs just an insanely over priced sla battery that wont last more than 3 years on avg until replacement is neccesary

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 7 6.2%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 29 25.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 56 49.6%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 15.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back