In-Wall Peninsula 175g Tank Advice

zxerrath

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First time poster here. I am building a home and hoping to get a peninsula tank to put “in the wall” between the entryway of the home and my office. I have less than 6’ of wall space so I have been looking at 5’ tanks. Specifically Planet Aquarium has a 5’ x 2’ x 2.5’ 175 gallon that looks right for my space.

My question then is any advice on how to go about the process of making the stand and overhead/cabinet area. I am new to the hobby but hoping to get this setup in place and done really well to last a very long time. The builder has cabinetry and framing people that can work with me, but probably none of us have built a stand for an aquarium specifically. I’m wondering what advice people have on this (build custom with 2x6 or 2x4s and merge into wall, use a steel frame, etc).

One final note is that I want to make water changes as easy on myself as possible, and I’m planning to run some piping from the tank to a utility room a level below in the basement. Snapshot of the relevant section of the plans attached. Thanks!

IMG_0097.png

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Plenty of people on here will be able to chime in for the assistance needed. Make sure you create a build thread once the progress starts!

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have the tools there are plenty of videos on YouTube that Detail what's needed to get it done. I built the stand for my 90g in wall. As long as you have a saw and can read a tape it's quite easy.

twnturbo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out my 180 Peninsula in wall build i'm currently doing ,in the past my tanks have always had a canopy, but modern setups with LED's really don't need one & can look great without .

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 38 19.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 143 74.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.7%
Back