Inconsistencies in Alk Test

Darryn Lyon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running a 32 gal. Biocube, and just did a 7 gallon water change. Prior to the water change my alk was at about 9.3 - 9.4. I tested the water the next morning and my alk tested at about 10.5. I hadn't dosed anything. The water I switched out had a similar alkalinity to my own. I could only conclude that it was user error in the test. I tested it again and it came up 9.1, which made more sense. Is there any explanation as to why my alkalinity might have gone up significantly IF the first test was correct? I vaccumed out a lot of nitrates in my gravel bed. Could this have an effect on the alkalinity?

I use the Red Sea Alkalinity pro, and I notice that the results in the test vary WILDLY depending on how much one mixes the titrant after each drop, even the difference in a few seconds of mixing could skew the results considerably, just as not mixing it enough would skew it the other way. Have other people found this to be the case?

Va_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty common with all red sea titration tests IMO. I like and use salifert for calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium.

LostInTheDark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with using Salifert. I started with all Redsea test but always had inconsistent results. I changed to mostly Salifert and it is very consistent.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back