Infected Coradion Butterfly

betam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Coradion butterflies have come down with a strange looking disease. As you can see in the pictures, it has a strange whitish patch/growth on its body. Hasn't responded to Cupramine at Therapeutic levels. Appetite has gone down and it's not actively feeding.
Any help with the diagnosis and possible cure. Thanks. IMG_1030.jpeg IMG_1029.jpeg IMG_1028.jpeg IMG_1031.jpeg IMG_1032.jpeg IMG_1033.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1027.mov
    16.9 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

That is very clearly Lymphocystis, a common, non fatal viral disease of marine fish. The fish not eating is caused by something else. Do you know where it was collected? Cupramine can be kind of harsh on some fish, do you know the current concentration of it?

Are you sure it is a Coradion butterfly? It looks more like a Parachaetodon ocellatus to me. These can be more difficult to get to feed well.

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Agree on Parachaetodon and as with butterfliy group, susceptible to lympho which is viral, a condition- not disease

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

That is very clearly Lymphocystis, a common, non fatal viral disease of marine fish. The fish not eating is caused by something else. Do you know where it was collected? Cupramine can be kind of harsh on some fish, do you know the current concentration of it?

Are you sure it is a Coradion butterfly? It looks more like a Parachaetodon ocellatus to me. These can be more difficult to get to feed well.

Jay
+1 I was going to mention the fish also looks thin.

OP
OP
B

betam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Jay
Thanks for your diagnosis Jay. Where I live (India) most of the imports come from Indonesia but I'm not sure of where this specific originated from.
They were voracious feeders of my homemade recipe (a mix of clams/mussels/squid/prawn/nori) before it went off food. It does still eat a bit of frozen mysis.
Cu concentration is around .50 ppm per the Hanna high range checker.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back