OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmers can be run during all medications, just don't collect skimmate (let it run back into the tank) for prazi or antibiotics. Copper power has no issues with skimmers
I’ve been still collecting skimmate, that might explain the discrepancy in my reading. Although even checking with my Hannah checker back to back I’ve had different numbers?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been still collecting skimmate, that might explain the discrepancy in my reading. Although even checking with my Hannah checker back to back I’ve had different numbers?

No - collecting the skimmate won't change the amount of copper to any high degree, since it doesn't foam up.

Getting different readings on the Hanna checker can be an issue with your technique - how far apart are the readings?

OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No - collecting the skimmate won't change the amount of copper to any high degree, since it doesn't foam up.

Getting different readings on the Hanna checker can be an issue with your technique - how far apart are the readings?
After dosing in evening, checked in morning = 2.16 ppm. Dosed a little to bring up to at least 2.2-2.3 checked evening = 1.91 first time, check second time 2.56. Didn’t add anything in case reading was accurate. Checked again last night 1.96 ppm. Maybe the amount of powder I put into the water before reading? The packet is a pain I’m not sure I get all the contents of it out into the vial.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After dosing in evening, checked in morning = 2.16 ppm. Dosed a little to bring up to at least 2.2-2.3 checked evening = 1.91 first time, check second time 2.56. Didn’t add anything in case reading was accurate. Checked again last night 1.96 ppm. Maybe the amount of powder I put into the water before reading? The packet is a pain I’m not sure I get all the contents of it out into the vial.

I've had that same issue getting the powder out of the packets.....

Copper does tend to drop normally. Do you have anything calcium based in the tank? Any sand or coral rocks?

OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had that same issue getting the powder out of the packets.....

Copper does tend to drop normally. Do you have anything calcium based in the tank? Any sand or coral rocks?
I do have live rocks, I know ideally there should be nothing but I’ve dosed copper with the same rocks and I’m not keeping corals anytime soon so it should be fine.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have live rocks, I know ideally there should be nothing but I’ve dosed copper with the same rocks and I’m not keeping corals anytime soon so it should be fine.

The rocks will absorb some of the copper into their matrix. You'll need to test and redose periodically to offset that drop. Then, as you know, you'll want to ever avoid using those rocks in tanks with invertebrates.

OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rocks will absorb some of the copper into their matrix. You'll need to test and redose periodically to offset that drop. Then, as you know, you'll want to ever avoid using those rocks in tanks with invertebrates.
Will do, I’ll keep testing every couple days until I consistently get the same ppm. Thank you Jay!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back