Injury or disease on rabbitfish?

stinkydavis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tank has been running for a little over a month. The 2 fish in question have been in there since the start. I added a foxface about 2 weeks ago.
Out of nowhere my yellow spot rabbit fish has the mark pictured by his gill and the white tail bristletooth has it by the base of his tail. Both fish are fat, happy , and swimming so I’m not sure what it could be. I did also add a couple new torch corals so I’m wondering if they got stung? I dip all corals to start. I did not QT the 3 fish listed.
thank you for the read and help.
6164CE40-38FC-4AEF-8FE1-AB5DF8833BD6.jpeg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm not sure I see where the issue is on the rabbitfish - and I don't see a picture of the bristle tooth tang. (I think I see what you mean - but an arrow would help)

Can you give some more information about your parameters, etc? When you say the fish have been in the tank 'since the start' - do you mean that you set up the tank on day 1 and put the fish in on day 1? Perhaps I'm misunderstanding?

OP
OP
S

stinkydavis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure I see where the issue is on the rabbitfish - and I don't see a picture of the bristle tooth tang. (I think I see what you mean - but an arrow would help)

Can you give some more information about your parameters, etc? When you say the fish have been in the tank 'since the start' - do you mean that you set up the tank on day 1 and put the fish in on day 1? Perhaps I'm misunderstanding?
I don’t have a PH test but
Salt-1.025
Po3-.15
No2- 4
Alkalinity-8.4
He has been in there since the start is day1 of tank when installed about a month ago. Rock was moved over from my last tank so ammonia is and has been 0 as well as nitrite. I have circled it.
My bristle tooth is always on the back side of the tank so it is hard to get a good picture of it.
049C1CC0-51F4-4225-A3B9-B308C3CC80D5.jpeg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don’t have a PH test but
Salt-1.025
Po3-.15
No2- 4
Alkalinity-8.4
He has been in there since the start is day1 of tank when installed about a month ago. Rock was moved over from my last tank so ammonia is and has been 0 as well as nitrite. I have circled it.
My bristle tooth is always on the back side of the tank so it is hard to get a good picture of it.
049C1CC0-51F4-4225-A3B9-B308C3CC80D5.jpeg
Is it on both sides - is there any way to get a picture of the other side - or a video - is the breathing ok? Impossible to tell about the bristle tooth without a good picture.

OP
OP
S

stinkydavis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it on both sides - is there any way to get a picture of the other side - or a video - is the breathing ok? Impossible to tell about the bristle tooth without a good picture.
Just that side. Eating fine. I can get a video soon.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If it's on one side - and no other issues - I would consider an aggression issue - or as you said a coral stinging issue. But - please put up the video when you have a chance. Important to watch also for any worsening.

OP
OP
S

stinkydavis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the best video I could snag quickly. There is some definite aggression when nori is around. The yellow spot gaurds it a lot. I have gotten another clip and they are placed on opposite sides of the tank.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here is the best video I could snag quickly. There is some definite aggression when nori is around. The yellow spot gaurds it a lot. I have gotten another clip and they are placed on opposite sides of the tank.

Thanks for the video - My strong guess is that this is injury/aggression. I would watch for any infection symptoms. That said - its still a little unclear - is the lesion on the rabbitfish raised - like its something attached? or does it merely look like damage to the skin

OP
OP
S

stinkydavis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the video - My strong guess is that this is injury/aggression. I would watch for any infection symptoms. That said - its still a little unclear - is the lesion on the rabbitfish raised - like its something attached? or does it merely look like damage to the skin
It’s a divit. I will do some research on how to chill him out. I do plan on adding some more rock soon and hopefully that will through him off. Otherwise I have slowed the flow down through the UV to help keep bacteria in the water column as low as I can.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It’s a divit. I will do some research on how to chill him out. I do plan on adding some more rock soon and hopefully that will through him off. Otherwise I have slowed the flow down through the UV to help keep bacteria in the water column as low as I can.
I would suggest you start a build thread as well - because I'm sure many people would like to see how your tank is doing over time.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 108 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.5%
Back