inline dosing into a return line

mnreefster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody ever tried something like this before? Very intriguing for my balling dosing option. Actually similar to how hospitals inject drugs using venous access for their patients. One could even use an angled fitting vs a T-fitting. Trying to think about plumbing with my new tank that is coming in the fall. The T-fitting would be part of the return line placed toward the end of the return line in the sump before it goes to the DT.

1683329645026.png
1683329664729.png
1683329687153.png

Last edited:

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't seem like a good idea to me. Besides for making the doser push fluid through a check valve, it looks like it will get clogged with precipitation. Why not let it drip into return pump chamber and let the pump mix and pump it into circulation?

OP
OP
mnreefster

mnreefster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mostly proof of concept and it would add versatility to any system for a wide array of functions beyond balling dosing. It immediately drops the concentration due to the flow so precipitation shouldn't be an issue. It would be nice not to just 'dump' concentrate into the return pump chamber where concentrations are very high until it gets pulled into the pump. I believe the physics work as long as there is no air getting pulled into the system. Also the check valve shouldn't be an issue if a single solution is used (one type of solution per line) and getting pushed unidirectionally. I don't know - maybe it wouldn't. But I believe it's worth trying given the opportunities it could be used for. If a longer line were used and went with the flow I really believe it could be a nice neat way to get fluids pushed into the system easily and cleanly.

OP
OP
mnreefster

mnreefster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really about fighting battles - just looking beyond, exploring opportunities. Most things will go wrong, then we see why and do it different. Cool cool. I'll do some experimenting with saltwater and see how it goes.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small pump in the return chamber to mix the solutions before the return pump sucks it up..
I've had a dosing line fall into the water before, it turned into a big crystal within a week. The direct contact of solution and water that is of concern- instead of diluting into flowing water, it will mix in the check valve where solution meets water. This is all assuming that the dosing pump will be able to push the check valve open against the head pressure of the water in plumbing.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is interesting.

Personally, I don't see an advantage. I drip dose, so I need to see the drip rate of supplementation.

But from a curiosity standpoint, I'd like to see how this works out!

Echomsp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems it would be hard to know the volume you are dosing. I would think changing the condition at the outlet would impact the flow and I don't know how you would calibrate

OP
OP
mnreefster

mnreefster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The idea is it would be used with a dosing pump which would control volume output. If there is no air coming into the line and it is a closed system it’s not going to create any suction. The precipitation question is valid, though it’s not the same as a dosing line in a return pump chamber, which for the most part is standing water. Think about placing the dosing line in running water out of a spigot as a related example. Would it precipitate out in that case? Not sure….

OP
OP
mnreefster

mnreefster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll also say as a pharmacist this an exact situation that we deal with when administering drugs via venous access When we think about precipitation with drugs in the body. If it can be done to humans with drugs, I’m convinced there is a way to accomplish this.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe if there was a standpipe, at the highest point, just before the outlet. And have it drip into that. But then if outlet becomes clogged water will come out the standpipe. Sounds like you're thinking of a venturi siphon. But even the venturi of a skimmer experienced salt creep. What size tank/ return pump are we talking about here?

OP
OP
mnreefster

mnreefster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_9949.jpeg

not drawn to scale obviously but here is the idea. 1” return line for a 150 gallon DT.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems it would be hard to know the volume you are dosing. I would think changing the condition at the outlet would impact the flow and I don't know how you would calibrate

Well, you could always calculate the volume you are dosing based on the amount of volume missing in the reservoir.

Harpo

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was thinking about doing the same thing. The returns in my sump has a few unions so I drew this up in Fusion 360 and I'm having this 3d printed. The 4 outer holes are for my 1/4 lines from my doser and the center holes are for a low volume/low pressure return line. The 4 holes around the perimeter will be for set screws to hole the 1/4 line in place. My 3d parts should arrive tomorrow
1687386886974.png

OP
OP
mnreefster

mnreefster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about doing the same thing. The returns in my sump has a few unions so I drew this up in Fusion 360 and I'm having this 3d printed. The 4 outer holes are for my 1/4 lines from my doser and the center holes are for a low volume/low pressure return line. The 4 holes around the perimeter will be for set screws to hole the 1/4 line in place. My 3d parts should arrive tomorrow
1687386886974.png
That is actually really cool idea. I’d like to know how this works for you. interesting concept with the set screws and the dual purpose as a low flow return. Love new ideas. Might not be perfect with the first prototype but I really see this idea working. And being able to introduce a new concept or add another tool to this hobby would be great.

OP
OP
mnreefster

mnreefster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My return chamber has this nasty film on the top from dosing. The glass has calcification on it from when I dosed calcium and alk separate. I also don’t need dosing lines in my sump either. It’s a cleaner look to get them into the return line as well. Those are some of the reasons for me.

Harpo

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
3d printed parts looks great. Now I just need to drill & tap for the set screws

Attachments

• 20230622_140229.jpg
    20230622_140229.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 20230622_140256.jpg
    20230622_140256.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 21

Jamie814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't see this working...long term, with this design you will always have constant contact between your dosing solution alk/ca or whatever it may be and saltwater because there is no air gap to separate them like typical drip dosing into a sump. Even with a check valve as the separation point between the two solutions it too will get precipitation buildup inside it over time.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 44 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 158 73.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.7%
Back