Inline Frag Tank Setup Question

MikeB

R2R Web Admin & Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to be hooking a frag tank inline with my display tank becuase I want the water params to match in each tank and I did not want to buy hardware. This is my idea, see screenshot. Where the frag tank is really the only place to put it since the DT is in the kitchen and livingroom in between the back sliding door and the window you see. So I was thinking of just letting gravity bring the water back to the SUMP in the DT and a MAg12 sending water to the frag tank. There wont be much head loss.

What does everyone think?

Attachments

• design.JPG
    design.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 125

macawmagic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's pretty much how I have my 3 tanks setup. 1 sump...3 pumps...3 tanks. each pump runs a certain tank, and then it all gravity drains back to the sump. I liked the idea of one system because then I wouldn't have to buy all the gizmo's and gadget's x3! LOL

how big will the tank be? mag 12 should be good unless it's like a 10 gallon tank. LOL 20 gal and up I'd say it'd be perfect! i have a mag 18 running my 30 breeder and external skimmer. pretty good flow, but I also have a sureflow 1600 in there. makes it perfect!

OP
OP
MikeB

MikeB

R2R Web Admin & Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a 24 x 24 x 14 frag tank.

I will have 2x MP40w Vortechs in the 120 and I have 2x Koralia #4's, 2x #3's, 2x #2's and 1x #1 to put in the frag tank. I just have not decided what koralias I want to put in there.

iani

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no need for as big of a pump. I think a mag 12 will be overkill. Idealy you want low sump turnover because its better for skimming. I would go no bigger than a mag 5.

Back