Innovative marine BioSkim DC AIO Protein Skimmer noisey

BMWZ4M08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all
as the title states I just picked up IM BioSkim DC AIO Protein Skimmer. After reading multiple reviews I got the impression that this would be quiet. It even says it on the box.
To my surprise it’s kinda loud, will it eventually quiet down or should I replace the pump?

Thanks

SamAPFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all
as the title states I just picked up IM BioSkim DC AIO Protein Skimmer. After reading multiple reviews I got the impression that this would be quiet. It even says it on the box.
To my surprise it’s kinda loud, will it eventually quiet down or should I replace the pump?

Thanks
Do you like it? It’s about to come to my house. Sorry I don’t have an answer for your question

OP
OP
B

BMWZ4M08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you like it? It’s about to come to my house. Sorry I don’t have an answer for your question

I've only had it for a week or so, its loud, there is no control over the flow rate..I bought it for my nano tank which has a built in filter so there isn't really a spot for it. The water fluctuates so its hard to keep it where it should be. If I could keep the water at a certain point it works fine, but b/c of the noise it only runs when I go to work. Since the tank is in my room its too loud at night.
Do I like it?..its hard to form an opinion at this point...it was a tight spot in my sump so my choices were limited. I'll have to keep it running to get a better review on it..sorry I couldn't be more helpful

Zach W

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got the NuvoSkim DC and it is very quiet, not sure of the difference between the two

SamAPFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only had it for a week or so, its loud, there is no control over the flow rate..I bought it for my nano tank which has a built in filter so there isn't really a spot for it. The water fluctuates so its hard to keep it where it should be. If I could keep the water at a certain point it works fine, but b/c of the noise it only runs when I go to work. Since the tank is in my room its too loud at night.
Do I like it?..its hard to form an opinion at this point...it was a tight spot in my sump so my choices were limited. I'll have to keep it running to get a better review on it..sorry I couldn't be more helpful
Maybe try putting the skimmer in a section that doesn’t fluctuate like not the return flow section. I don’t know if you know yet, but does it produce good skimmate?

BasicBitz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just snagged an IM BioSkim Nano.... and I can't figure out why I've got micro bubbles *everywhere*. I'm using it in the middle back chamber on my Innovative Marine 14 gallon peninsula tank. I've pulled it out several times and have made sure all fittings are tight - there really are only two, one where the pump connects to the skimmer body, and one where the venturi tube connects to the pump through the housing. It's also been overflowing nonstop. This is a brand new tank I'm cycling, so I'm going to give it a chance to break in before I return it. :(

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just snagged an IM BioSkim Nano.... and I can't figure out why I've got micro bubbles *everywhere*. I'm using it in the middle back chamber on my Innovative Marine 14 gallon peninsula tank. I've pulled it out several times and have made sure all fittings are tight - there really are only two, one where the pump connects to the skimmer body, and one where the venturi tube connects to the pump through the housing. It's also been overflowing nonstop. This is a brand new tank I'm cycling, so I'm going to give it a chance to break in before I return it. :(

It will most likely improve as it breaks in. However, the small IM tanks have the skimmer effluent dumping right into the return pump area with very little space for the bubbles to offgas. . I had this problem with my NUVO 10, which I believe has the same chamber setup as yours. It can be worse if you upgrade to a stronger return pump.

Give it a few weeks, and if all else fails you can try positioning a piece of foam as a bubble trap in the return chamber. You have to keep an eye on it and clean regularly so it does not clog up.

Short story is it’s very hard to completely eliminate bubbles in the display with that setup.

BasicBitz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will most likely improve as it breaks in. However, the small IM tanks have the skimmer effluent dumping right into the return pump area with very little space for the bubbles to offgas. . I had this problem with my NUVO 10, which I believe has the same chamber setup as yours. It can be worse if you upgrade to a stronger return pump.

Give it a few weeks, and if all else fails you can try positioning a piece of foam as a bubble trap in the return chamber. You have to keep an eye on it and clean regularly so it does not clog up.

Short story is it’s very hard to completely eliminate bubbles in the display with that setup.

Dang. Of the few reviews I'd seen on this skimmer, several of them said the bubbles are all contained to the unit... so I was excited to get it installed. Now I'm just sad. :(

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there is a compact AIO skimmer that does not leak bubbles, I’ve yet to see it in person. I’m not familiar with yours, but I went with a slightly modded Tunze 9001. It works great now but my tank looked like it was filled with seltzer for a couple of weeks. Hopefully yours calms down as well.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 164 72.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.8%
Back