Inside the Smart Buddie - Turbo charge your RO system

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

t5800512

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone replaced the high-pressure switch on the Smart Buddie Booster Pump? Mine cuts off at 80psi. I was hoping for 100. I do not mind replacing the switch. Just looking for some advice.

OP
OP
AquaticLifeProducts

AquaticLifeProducts

Aquarium Equipment Company
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
Has anyone replaced the high-pressure switch on the Smart Buddie Booster Pump? Mine cuts off at 80psi. I was hoping for 100. I do not mind replacing the switch. Just looking for some advice.
The high pressure switch on the filtered line side is set for 35+/-. Are you measuring the pressure at the membrane only? What are you looking to do to increase the filtered water pressure?

Edgar F

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all

I have install it today is there any reason why my smart buddie booster the yellow lines vibrate almost like a pulsing vibration and it is a lot and makes a weird sound also my gauge is fluctuating from 80 to 85 psi always.

thank you in advance

Last edited:
OP
OP
AquaticLifeProducts

AquaticLifeProducts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
Good morning,

The pressure line from the Smart Buddie to the membrane can vibrate as this is the side that the pump pressurizes. The pump is similar to a diaphragm pump and will pulse as it pressurizes the water out of the pump. That is where bounce comes from on the gauge too.

A Glycerin filled gauge takes a look of the bounce out of the needle. Air filled will move more.

Edgar F

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning,

The pressure line from the Smart Buddie to the membrane can vibrate as this is the side that the pump pressurizes. The pump is similar to a diaphragm pump and will pulse as it pressurizes the water out of the pump. That is where bounce comes from on the gauge too.

A Glycerin filled gauge takes a look of the bounce out of the needle. Air filled will move more.
Thank you for your response

So its normal then :) i will try to purge any air inside of the RODI to see if this helps

Basically i don't need to worry correct?

thanks again

OP
OP
AquaticLifeProducts

AquaticLifeProducts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
Yes you are ok. The vibration is a little more with smaller 50 GPD membranes and less with 100 GPD membranes. But you are good to go, no need to be concerned.

If any problems let us know.

Edgar F

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you are ok. The vibration is a little more with smaller 50 GPD membranes and less with 100 GPD membranes. But you are good to go, no need to be concerned.

If any problems let us know.
Great ...thank you for you response I will be sure to get a membrane for 100 GPD when i get a new one :)

I appreciate your help on this

have a great day!

DeeBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running the Smart Buddie for several years on a 75GPD membrane and consistently get 90 PSI coming directly off the "To membrane intake" line.

Is there any disadvantage if I move to a 100gpd membrane? Will I need to change the restrictor?

OP
OP
AquaticLifeProducts

AquaticLifeProducts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
You can up the membrane size to a 100GPD. Two things should happen. The PSI to the membrane will likely drop some as the surface area of the membrane is larger. The ratio of filtered water to waste water will reduce. The 300 CC flow restrictor on a 100 GPD membrane would get you closer to a 1 to 1 ratio. If that is a concern I can help with increasing the water water flow some if you would like.

Joe's Coral Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
I recently moved houses and reconnected my smart buddie. It was sitting for a few month unused. Now I'm having a issue of it constantly draining waste water. The waste water will not stop. I went through and replaced all the filters and have checked the plumbing multiple times. Anyone know what could be wrong?

OP
OP
AquaticLifeProducts

AquaticLifeProducts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
Send us some photos of the setup to [email protected] and we can review. The solenoid in the Smart Buddie when powered off should stop the supply of water to the entire system. If the system is powered off does the waste water still flow? If so that could mean the shut off solenoid piston is stuck in the open position. Could just need to be cleaned.

Quiverfull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Dave:

I have a Smart Buddy that I was using on my previous 90 gpd 3 stage unit. I was getting 85 to 90 PSI. I recently upgraded my RO system to a SpectraPure MaxCap Dual 90 GPD (total 180 GPD - Model # MC-RODI-180-10-MF). I have removed the flow restrictor and manual flush and I believe I have all my connections correct. I am now getting 65 PSI with this system. Is there anyway to improve my pressure?

Thanks

OP
OP
AquaticLifeProducts

AquaticLifeProducts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
Hi Dave:

I have a Smart Buddy that I was using on my previous 90 gpd 3 stage unit. I was getting 85 to 90 PSI. I recently upgraded my RO system to a SpectraPure MaxCap Dual 90 GPD (total 180 GPD - Model # MC-RODI-180-10-MF). I have removed the flow restrictor and manual flush and I believe I have all my connections correct. I am now getting 65 PSI with this system. Is there anyway to improve my pressure?

Thanks
The Smart Buddie is rated up to a 100GPD membrane. When you go above that the pump will lose pressure and possibly be damaged. The surface area now with 180 GPD membrane is too much. There is no way to increase the flow and output on the unit. It would require a bigger pump.

Quiverfull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Smart Buddie is rated up to a 100GPD membrane. When you go above that the pump will lose pressure and possibly be damaged. The surface area now with 180 GPD membrane is too much. There is no way to increase the flow and output on the unit. It would require a bigger pump.
What do you suggest I do? I like the smart buddie system and all that is does (automatic flush, turns off when float valve closed, etc.) Is there a way to change the pump for a stronger one?

OP
OP
AquaticLifeProducts

AquaticLifeProducts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
Unfortunately, we do not have an option to upgrade the pump.

I can only suggest using a single membrane of 100 GPD or less. You may be able to find a pump that would fit but a larger pump may also require a larger power supply to operate the unit.

Quiverfull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, we do not have an option to upgrade the pump.

I can only suggest using a single membrane of 100 GPD or less. You may be able to find a pump that would fit but a larger pump may also require a larger power supply to operate the unit.
Thanks for your response. If I were to add an external booster pump, is there a configuration of attaching the tubing that would keep the rest of the unit functional?

OP
OP
AquaticLifeProducts

AquaticLifeProducts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
You could hook up to the 24VDC power supply inside the unit, if the power supply is big enough for the larger pump.

The other concern is that there is a 300 CC flow restrictor inside that is also the flush valve. This would likely need changed or increased. The ratio of 180 GPD membrane and a 300 CC flow restrictor would put you upside down on the ratios and likely would damage the membranes. Roughly this would put you at 1 gallon filtered to 0.6 gallons of waste.

Does Spectrapure have a suggested booster pump for the 180?

Quiverfull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they do not really have a booster pump recommendation but they say that optimum pressure is between 60 and 80 PSI

OP
OP
AquaticLifeProducts

AquaticLifeProducts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
I'm not familiar with a pump that can handle the larger flow rate requirement. I believe Aquatec may have something but not sure.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back