Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can vary batch to batch but here is what was found over time.
Post number 235 scroll down to see chart

This chart is pretty spot on for what I get for regular instant ocean. I think they reduced the calcium slightly. My batches usually test around 385-390, BUT that could just be the margin of error on the test kit. I use 390 as the number and adjust the calcium up to 420. Alk is steady between 9.5 and 10dkh.

I use regular instant ocean with zero problems. I did have some precipitate in my mixing container, but nothing to where I have thought about switching.

I think the big thing is to be consistent with how you test salinity and you will have consistent parameters with the salt.

OP
OP
CoralReefer1019

CoralReefer1019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would regular IO be ok for softies, and zoas? Or should I stick with Fritz Pro (Blue box) that I’m currently using?

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would regular IO be ok for softies, and zoas? Or should I stick with Fritz Pro (Blue box) that I’m currently using?

Regular IO would be fine for a low demand tank like softies and zoas.

Why are you looking to switch? Price? Parameters when mixed? Just thought I'd ask, it's not everyday someone wants to switch to regular IO mix.

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exact isnt happening. You can pull an average. Its suppose to mix at 400ppm cal, 11dKH alk, 1350ppm mag.

Ive never gotten an 11 alk or 1350 mag though @35ppt. It's very consistent without crazy swings batch to batch.

You'll be fine with IO. There's plenty of people that use it with lps/sps. Softies are pretty forgiving and aren't the element hogs that stonies are.

madlos123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20191207_143832.jpg

Im running Regular Instant Ocean on my 40B for 3 years now. i used to be on reef crystal but the mix have too high for alk. :)

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plenty of people use regular IO. If you run a calrx or dose, might as well use IO anyway. It's cheap and has been very consistent IME. If you're going to use water changes to maintain parameters, then a salt that mixes closer to you desired param's might make more sense.

Not trying to knock any salt by the way, I've used several and never had a bad experience with any of the ones I've tried on different tanks. Use what you like/feel comfortable with.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used Io for over 30 years on and off.

Typically mixes up to 400 CAL, 9 to 10DKH ALK, and around 1200 mag. Been pretty consistent in all those years, with small variations between boxes, but certainly not huge variations like in some salts.

Little muriatic acid to lower the ALK, little calcium, and mag to increase those. What little bit I have to dose, does not come even close in price to other "reef salts".

OP
OP
CoralReefer1019

CoralReefer1019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is mostly gonna be softies, zoas and easy sps. I was also thinking on reef crystals so I wouldn’t have to supplement anything. The tank would only rely on once or twice and month water changes, only 3 fish, cuc, shrimp and feeding only frozen hikari mysis

Mrreefercanada

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have many reefer friends using i/o with all great results but they do have to dose. I have been using vibrant sea for 5 years now and don't have to dose at all. I have a mixed reef softies and lps moderate collection in a 90 gal.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Regular IO is fine for any reef tank. It's all I used for 20 years. :)

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.8%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 90 49.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 56 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%

Back