Intank Media Basket : Struggling with Flex 32.5

AndyinAtlanta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my Fluval Flex 32.5 aquarium for roughly six months now. In retrospect I think I would have gotten a different tank, but that ship has sailed for a while. I had heard raving reviews about the Intank media baskets online so I decided to give it a try. My parameters weren't high or anything, but I'm always look for ways to improve the stock aquarium.

I have two Intank baskets on either side of the tank (with the black bar installed per the instructions). In the top I have filter floss, I've removed the middle [green] shelf in both baskets, and I have Chemi Pure Elite in each side (the size that filters upto 25 gallons). Afterwards I've noticed two issues:

1. I'm running the stock pump and the PS1 protein skimmer (which has worked very well to date). The issue, the water level in the middle chamber that holds the protein skimmer and pump is too low. It is below the protein skimmer minimum level line. The water level on the two side chambers matches the main tank. Does anyone know how to solve this? Intank recommended adding water to the middle tank, but that did absolutely nothing. Do I need a stronger pump? Removing the Chemi Pure from one side did nothing, and neither did removing it entirely from both sides.
  2. I was under the impression that removing the black foam blocks and switching to the Intank baskets would help reduce my water temperatures. It has not (maybe .5 degrees at best). The Fluval Flex 32.5 tank has a lid, so I'm thinking the only way to reduce temperatures is to cut a hole in the lid and add a fan (and an exhaust hole as well). Is this my only option at this point?
Thank you!

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @AndyinAtlanta

I was looking at the design trying to get an idea of the issue. I never owned one so this is just kind of a guess.

Usually a difference in water level has to do with baffling, or divider walls. (Same concept as a skimmer chambers in sumps.) I do not know if the green shelf that you moved has anything to do with it, or any other changes that were made that may have moved the water line. Or I could be way off since I am not familiar with this. :)

But I figured I would throw it out there and the bump will help get some more people to view the thread.

CubsFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you suspending your media bags in the basket with a zip tie? The media bags can slow/block flow if they aren't.

edit: I guess if you removed the media all together and are still having the same issue, this probably isn't the fix.

Last edited:

skiff21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my Fluval Flex 32.5 aquarium for roughly six months now. In retrospect I think I would have gotten a different tank, but that ship has sailed for a while. I had heard raving reviews about the Intank media baskets online so I decided to give it a try. My parameters weren't high or anything, but I'm always look for ways to improve the stock aquarium.

I have two Intank baskets on either side of the tank (with the black bar installed per the instructions). In the top I have filter floss, I've removed the middle [green] shelf in both baskets, and I have Chemi Pure Elite in each side (the size that filters upto 25 gallons). Afterwards I've noticed two issues:

1. I'm running the stock pump and the PS1 protein skimmer (which has worked very well to date). The issue, the water level in the middle chamber that holds the protein skimmer and pump is too low. It is below the protein skimmer minimum level line. The water level on the two side chambers matches the main tank. Does anyone know how to solve this? Intank recommended adding water to the middle tank, but that did absolutely nothing. Do I need a stronger pump? Removing the Chemi Pure from one side did nothing, and neither did removing it entirely from both sides.
  2. I was under the impression that removing the black foam blocks and switching to the Intank baskets would help reduce my water temperatures. It has not (maybe .5 degrees at best). The Fluval Flex 32.5 tank has a lid, so I'm thinking the only way to reduce temperatures is to cut a hole in the lid and add a fan (and an exhaust hole as well). Is this my only option at this point?
Thank you!
im just spit balling here so stay with me. if the water level in the middle chamber is low then i would think that the overall water level in the tank is low. the more water added would eventually spill into your side chambers and fill the center chamber up. your basically pumping out the middle chamber and whats coming back in is trickling over the top. since you have these new intake baskets your not getting water from the bottom anymore, its all going over the top of the new basket. might be worth adding some more water and watching to see if it fills itself, shouldn't take but a qt or 2

Floppyfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only time I’ve had my intank basket drastically slow flow was with filter pad needing to be changed out or my chemipure bag shifted in the middle chamber completely blocking flow downwards. My bio chamber is the bottom one and I have that raised up by zip tying the media bag with biomaterial to the bottom of the middle chamber divider. Hopefully that didn’t come out too confusing.

Purkey Pets

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
  1. I'm running the stock pump and the PS1 protein skimmer (which has worked very well to date). The issue, the water level in the middle chamber that holds the protein skimmer and pump is too low. Does anyone know how to solve this? Intank recommended adding water
  2. help reduce my water temperatures. I'm thinking the only way to reduce temperatures is to cut a hole in the lid and add a fan (and an exhaust hole as well). Is this my only option at this point?
Thank you!

Just saw this post

I would highly recommend an auto topoff!

I'm using the Autoaqua smart ATO micro
The sensor is about dime-sized and fits perfect. It keeps the water level within a quarter-inch maybe closer to eighth-inch. It is very sensitive which is perfect for this situation.
Smart ATO Micro

I use the Fluval PS1 skimmer as well, with the suction cups against the glass and skimmer pushed down into the water. The lid on my collection cup is just above the edge of the glass.

For the temperature issue, I'm dealing with similar issues in a hot house. I've propped the front of the lid up a bit with a fan blowing across. Looking into potential drilling and installing a fan or two... but my issue is more with the extreme heat wave and A/C not keeping up... might hold off since propping the lid open is working for now.

Hope this helps!

OP
OP
AndyinAtlanta

AndyinAtlanta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saw this post

I would highly recommend an auto topoff!

I'm using the Autoaqua smart ATO micro
The sensor is about dime-sized and fits perfect. It keeps the water level within a quarter-inch maybe closer to eighth-inch. It is very sensitive which is perfect for this situation.
Smart ATO Micro

I use the Fluval PS1 skimmer as well, with the suction cups against the glass and skimmer pushed down into the water. The lid on my collection cup is just above the edge of the glass.

For the temperature issue, I'm dealing with similar issues in a hot house. I've propped the front of the lid up a bit with a fan blowing across. Looking into potential drilling and installing a fan or two... but my issue is more with the extreme heat wave and A/C not keeping up... might hold off since propping the lid open is working for now.

Hope this helps!
A helpful tip fyi. I cut two holes in the back of my tank and added computer fans for cooling. I've been able to maintain 78-79 degrees for two months now without ever touching 80 degrees. The Fluval tanks I've found get very hot due to the full enclosure.

Purkey Pets

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
A helpful tip fyi. I cut two holes in the back of my tank and added computer fans for cooling. I've been able to maintain 78-79 degrees for two months now without ever touching 80 degrees. The Fluval tanks I've found get very hot due to the full enclosure.

Nice! Any recommendations on equipment or placement from what you found?

Floppyfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Autoaqua smart ATO is a great product and works very well. I don’t have the stock lid on my biocube anymore, it’s now an octolid and radion Xr15. Since removing the lid, I’ve had zero issues keeping the temps lower.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 21 12.3%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 47 27.5%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 80 46.8%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 11.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back