Internal Parasite Treatment ?

atp0726

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both of my clowns look to have the white stringy poop. I have had them for over a month and the previous owner had them a year. I am sure the previous owner did not treat, so they have probably had them for quite some time. One looks a little thin, however, both fish look healthy and have voracious appetites. They are currently the only fish in the tank along with CUC, some SPS frags and an RBTA. Given this info is my best course of action soaking the Metro in their food with binder for the 10 days? Any negative side effects since they are in the DT? I do have some Prazi on hand and could use that as well.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both of my clowns look to have the white stringy poop. I have had them for over a month and the previous owner had them a year. I am sure the previous owner did not treat, so they have probably had them for quite some time. One looks a little thin, however, both fish look healthy and have voracious appetites. They are currently the only fish in the tank along with CUC, some SPS frags and an RBTA. Given this info is my best course of action soaking the Metro in their food with binder for the 10 days? Any negative side effects since they are in the DT? I do have some Prazi on hand and could use that as well.
Here is some great advice for dealing with this. You are definitely on the right track with Metro and a binder.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/internal-parasites-intestinal-worms.267419/

OP
OP
A

atp0726

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is some great advice for dealing with this. You are definitely on the right track with Metro and a binder.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/internal-parasites-intestinal-worms.267419/

Thanks, that thread was actually where I got the idea to use the Metro and binder.

I guess my question is (1) Is the medication reef safe? (2) Given the clowns have had these parasites for a while and are doing well, does it point to any specific parasite or suggested medication?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, that thread was actually where I got the idea to use the Metro and binder.

I guess my question is (1) Is the medication reef safe? (2) Given the clowns have had these parasites for a while and are doing well, does it point to any specific parasite or suggested medication?
Metro is not reef safe which is why it needs to be bound to the food. Just be careful not to overfeed. If the metro is eaten by the fish it won't harm your tank at all. A little uneaten food won't cause problems either. If you overfeed substantially and don't clean out the uneaten food then the metro can cause problems.

One of the experts on here would have to answer as to a specific parasite. I wouldn't expect very many internal parasites to go away on their own. Seeing as they haven't been treated I would expect metro to be the best first option.

Maybe Humblefish or Melypr will weigh in when they are on.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Using Focus to bind the metro to the food makes it reef safe, though I would suggest running carbon just in case.
Some fish can live for years with intestinal worms. That said, it's easy enough to treat it and not risk them wasting away slowly from it. I would definitely go with the Metro/Focus combo. Side note: it may take longer than 10 days to fully rid the fish of the worms. They can be pretty tuff and sometimes it takes 2 weeks or more to get rid of them completely.

OP
OP
A

atp0726

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting ready to mix the metro and focus with a tablespoon of frozen food. Directions say mix a 5:1 ratio focus to medication. Seems like a lot. Should I stick to the directions?

OP
OP
A

atp0726

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another reason I started this treatment is the other fish I have in the tank with the clowns is a Lubbock wrasse. It successfully made it through 4+ week Qt with 2 Prazi treatments. Added to the DT over a month ago with the 2 clowns (exhibiting the white stringy poop) and has slowly become more reclusive and seems to be getting very thin. While the clowns seem to be thriving the Wrasse is not. I have noticed at times it looks like he has a scratch on his body from the rocks and currently has a frayed tail fin. He comes out of the rockwork to eat as well as periodically throughout the day, which seems to be less and less. Is there anything else I can be doing? Hopefully, the metro is the right med to cure him , Hate to lose the fish.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While the clowns seem to be thriving the Wrasse is not. I have noticed at times it looks like he has a scratch on his body from the rocks and currently has a frayed tail fin. He comes out of the rockwork to eat as well as periodically throughout the day, which seems to be less and less. Is there anything else I can be doing? Hopefully, the metro is the right med to cure him , Hate to lose the fish.

Sounds like in addition to internal parasites he might also have an infection. You can food soak Kanaplex (an antibiotic) the same way you are soaking metro. Feed metro in the morning, Kanaplex in the evening (or vice versa).

OP
OP
A

atp0726

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like in addition to internal parasites he might also have an infection. You can food soak Kanaplex (an antibiotic) the same way you are soaking metro. Feed metro in the morning, Kanaplex in the evening (or vice versa).
Ok, for 10 days? As long as I use it with the Focus it's reef safe, right? I am running activated carbon as well.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, for 10 days? As long as I use it with the Focus it's reef safe, right? I am running activated carbon as well.

10 days for the antibiotics (Kanaplex); however you might need to treat with metro for up to 3 weeks to clear intestinal worms. When you see the fish go back to pooping brown, he's usually good to go. ;)

OP
OP
A

atp0726

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 days for the antibiotics (Kanaplex); however you might need to treat with metro for up to 3 weeks to clear intestinal worms. When you see the fish go back to pooping brown, he's usually good to go. ;)
Bought the Kanaplex on my way home from work but sadly doesnt look like the wrasse is going to make it. Stayed hidden in the rocks during feedings today and noticed he is laying on his side in a cave. He seemed very healthy when he came out of QT around 5 weeks ago and most likely picked up the internal parasites from the clowns. Other than a slightly frayed tail fin and a scratch on the body that was starting to heal the wrasse just looked to be getting thin, so I am assuming it was the internal parasites from the clowns.

My next dilemma is I have a tang due to come out of QT this weekend before I go out of town for a week. Is it risky for me to move him up to the DT with the clowns? They will be a week in on the metro treatment by then? It will be difficult to maintain 2 tanks while I am gone.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My next dilemma is I have a tang due to come out of QT this weekend before I go out of town for a week. Is it risky for me to move him up to the DT with the clowns? They will be a week in on the metro treatment by then? It will be difficult to maintain 2 tanks while I am gone.

He won't get it unless he eats their (or the infected fish's) poop. Trying to keep them from doing that is like herding cats though. he'll probably be ok until you come back. When you get back, just watch his poop to be sure he's fine. It's ok to let the others eat the medicated food as well since anybody can eat clown poo. intestinal worms are usually pretty slow acting.

OP
OP
A

atp0726

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He won't get it unless he eats their (or the infected fish's) poop. Trying to keep them from doing that is like herding cats though. he'll probably be ok until you come back. When you get back, just watch his poop to be sure he's fine. It's ok to let the others eat the medicated food as well since anybody can eat clown poo. intestinal worms are usually pretty slow acting.

Ok, I will plan on adding the fish in QT this weekend assuming he is showing no signs of disease. The wrasse didn't make it, hopefully he didn't have something worse than the internal parasites the clowns seem to be afflicted with.

Out of all the reef tanks I have had, I have struggled with keeping coral alive but never fish. Now it seems to be the opposite, corals doing great and losing about half the fish I buy. Only correlation is the fish I have lost all came from the same LFS which I will be staying away from for a while.

Thanks for all the help!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back