Iodine and LPS

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to add my 2 cents on this topic - Iodine absolutely improves the health of LPS coral without a doubt in my mind. I spent a lot of time going back and forth because of the amount of people on here swearing Iodine has no impact. I was low on an ATI test, so went with their recommendation and holy crap everything perked right up.

56D3D296-5BD7-4C3E-AA3D-4C7771B4F062.jpeg

The duncans and hammers showed improvement the most.

Now let me caveat this by saying it is the scariest thing in the world to even work up the courage to dose this stuff. I would absolutely never dose it routinely, and would only trust ATI tests to give me accurate results to even come close to trying to know what a dosing schedule could be. I would just dose reactively and not routinely if I were the majority of reefers out there.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to add my 2 cents on this topic - Iodine absolutely improves the health of LPS coral without a doubt in my mind. I spent a lot of time going back and forth because of the amount of people on here swearing Iodine has no impact. I was low on an ATI test, so went with their recommendation and holy crap everything perked right up.

56D3D296-5BD7-4C3E-AA3D-4C7771B4F062.jpeg

The duncans and hammers showed improvement the most.

Now let me caveat this by saying it is the scariest thing in the world to even work up the courage to dose this stuff. I would absolutely never dose it routinely, and would only trust ATI tests to give me accurate results to even come close to trying to know what a dosing schedule could be. I would just dose reactively and not routinely if I were the majority of reefers out there.
So how much/ how often in what size of tank?

nice LPS

OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how much/ how often in what size of tank?

nice LPS
Thanks! I just followed a little under what ATI recommended. I was around .015 and recommended is .06 - so their instruction was to do 3 total doses of 0.14ml of the ATI Iodine in my 20gal Red Sea Max Nano over the course of 3 days. I did 0.1ml to be safe, and won’t dose again til after another ICP test is done.

I would never dose without an ICP test to guide me - my LFS told me a horror story after they tried to use the at home kits for iodine and they had big losses.

i think the ICP test can be dangerous - almost makes you feel like you have to start dosing all these trace elements. I wouldnt necessarily go down that rabbithole - but for critical things like iodine or metals it is an awesome kit for the arsenal.

I would also like to add Im no expert - 6 months in and still learning on reef chemistry. I could be totally wrong, but I saw results with no additional variables changing.

oceanleaf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks a lot for the info.
I just did an ICP test with ATI too and found that the iodine level is also low (0.009 mg/L).
My tank is also LPS dominated, so I'll try to dose iodine too.

OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a lot for the info.
I just did an ICP test with ATI too and found that the iodine level is also low (0.009 mg/L).
My tank is also LPS dominated, so I'll try to dose iodine too.
Just be extremely careful and err on the side of dosing too little. You don’t need to chase the exact recommended amount - seemed to me like once I got it in the .03 range it was fine. If you go over .06-.07 you will kill everything in the tank, so do not treat lightly.

oceanleaf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just be extremely careful and err on the side of dosing too little. You don’t need to chase the exact recommended amount - seemed to me like once I got it in the .03 range it was fine. If you go over .06-.07 you will kill everything in the tank, so do not treat lightly.

Thanks for the caution. I'll definitely keep this in mind.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not that scary really. Most everyone dosed iodine religiously in the Nineties, and the test kits were bad then too. I don't remember anyone nuking their tanks.

Cabinetman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was having troubles with my lps and found the same thing through an icp. Now I dose iodum from aqua forest and ever since my lps has done way better than. I also used to loose a good portion of my chalice frags but since dosing iodum I havnt lost a single piece. I dose 2 droppers full in my 700 gallon system daily religiously

OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was having troubles with my lps and found the same thing through an icp. Now I dose iodum from aqua forest and ever since my lps has done way better than. I also used to loose a good portion of my chalice frags but since dosing iodum I havnt lost a single piece. I dose 2 droppers full in my 700 gallon system daily religiously
What made you land on Iodum from Aqua Forest? I went with the ATI Iodine out of convenience, but still definitely wondering what the ideal product is, if there is one.

OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What made you land on Iodum from Aqua Forest? I went with the ATI Iodine out of convenience, but still definitely wondering what the ideal product is, if there is one.
Also - does anyone else notice that BRS literally covers everything, but avoids talking about Iodine? Is that due to the risks involved? @randyBRS how come Iodine never gets coverage with you guys?

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 41 45.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 29 31.9%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 16.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 5 5.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back