iodine vs iodide testing / dosing

GSnake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if im not mistaken iodide is the more usable form of iodine, rather than iodate; and additions of iodine via supplementation or water changes get all or mostly oxidised to the iodide or iodate.

I just got my first icp test back and im deficient in iodine and other trace elements. my goal is to correct iodine first and the two products available to me are fauna marin elemental iodine, and seachem iodide. both of which claim to be stabilized. just judging by the bottle label , fauna marin is selling iodine, and seachem is selling iodide. isnt it better to just get the seachem iodide instead of losing product to iodate through oxidation by buying fauna marin iodine? seachem is also more affordable and seems to be more concentrated too. (1ml vs 5ml for correction via calculator).
both products claim to be stabilised, (so maybe fauna marins iodine doesnt oxidise before being used), and seachem claims it stays fully bioavailabl and remains in iodide form. wondering how its possible ... is it compounded with polymers of some sort perhaps.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if im not mistaken iodide is the more usable form of iodine, rather than iodate; and additions of iodine via supplementation or water changes get all or mostly oxidised to the iodide or iodate.

I just got my first icp test back and im deficient in iodine and other trace elements. my goal is to correct iodine first and the two products available to me are fauna marin elemental iodine, and seachem iodide. both of which claim to be stabilized. just judging by the bottle label , fauna marin is selling iodine, and seachem is selling iodide. isnt it better to just get the seachem iodide instead of losing product to iodate through oxidation by buying fauna marin iodine? seachem is also more affordable and seems to be more concentrated too. (1ml vs 5ml for correction via calculator).
both products claim to be stabilised, (so maybe fauna marins iodine doesnt oxidise before being used), and seachem claims it stays fully bioavailabl and remains in iodide form. wondering how its possible ... is it compounded with polymers of some sort perhaps.

I do not know that stability is the right question. In air, and in the ocean, iodate predominates, but is not as bioavailable as iodide. You cannot stabilize it after it is added to the tank.

I'm not convinced iodine dosing is a useful activity (it wasn't apparently useful for me), but it's a fine idea to keep total I around 0.06 ppm.

I DO NOT recommend elemental iodine (I2) as a dosing solution as it does lots of chemistry in the water, and is not one of the4 main forms in natural seawater. Some people do use it, but it's effects may go well beyond iodine issues and it may impact the bioavailability of various trace metals. .

For dosing, i see no reson to use anything other than sodium or potassium iodide.

I discuss iodine here:

and here:

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I wonder whether @Rick Mathew and @taricha can comment on the daily iodine (I do not mean any one iodine species) consumption and the usefulness of an ICP measurement to help you maintain that level.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder whether @Rick Mathew and @taricha can comment on the daily iodine (I do not mean any one iodine species) consumption and the usefulness of an ICP measurement to help you maintain that level.

In my tank with iodide dosing, iodine depleted from NSW levels to undetectable by kit over several days.

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have been dosing Red Sea Iodine + for 2-3 years now. I am not at all familiar with the products you mentioned and what specifically they are referring to about stabilization. I do not rely on ICP testing mainly because the iodine levels in my tank change much to quickly (As Randy mentioned). I measure weekly using a method developed using the Hanna HI-707 CHECKER....You can read about it here--- https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/using-hanna-checker-hi-707-to-test-for-iodine.743/

That being said, @taricha and @Dan_P and I have been working on improving the method and I am just in the process of posting an Article about the improved method...I just finished the last validation step using a NIST traceable Iodine Standard. The method appears to be quite accurate and precise.

Below is a precision (not Accuracy) evaluation of a number of vendors. This comes from an article on ICP Testing posted here that also might be interesting given your questions.----- https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/how-we-use-icp-oes-results-of-unknown-accuracy-and-precision.862/

1674673549085.png

Hope this helps

Rick

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

In my system Iodine tested and added in the form iodide depleted over several days as Randy saw. Also more recently, testing for total iodine (iodide+iodate) - my system tests almost zero ( < 0.01ppm ) unless I dose.

The flip side is that multiple people have found that regular dosing of Iodine according to a schedule (like red sea trace) without testing - later found Iodine higher than any desirable target value. This was seen with ICP and chemical tests. So iodine might not be a great thing to dose without any testing.

The difficulty for those wanting to test and dose is that Iodine seems one of the most challenging elements to get accurately with ICP. Fortunately @Rick Mathew has wrangled the Red Sea Iodine test kit to perform fantastically.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 17 10.6%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 26.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 78 48.4%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 12.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back