ION Director: What OTHER values would you like to measure?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Besides Ca and Mg, what else would you like to see the ION Director measure?

• Phosphate

Votes: 260 90.3%
  • Nitrate

Votes: 246 85.4%
  • Potassium

Votes: 66 22.9%
  • Ammonium

Votes: 24 8.3%
  • Iodide

Votes: 54 18.8%

• Total voters

Bigboned

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m coming from a noob position, I’m not currently dosing but when I do, the ability to test kh/mg/ca/po4/no3 in one unit and dose from another sounds ideal
Is there a reason that kh has to be done differently eg in a separate director?
Or a single 6 head doser that would handle all 5 of the mentioned tests, as per other brands?
Is it because of the form factor?

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The kh director does use a probe instead of reagent. It uses the probe and a standard acid to see how much acid it takes to lower the water to a certain ph. Since alkalinity isn't really a singular ion I doubt a probe could read alkalinity on its own. Maybe someone with more knowledge could help out describing that?

Yes, but could it be tested with an ion probe? Early adopters of the KHd might not be happy but in the long run, having one tester to rule them all would be ideal. Both from a manufacturing standpoint and a consumer standpoint.

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the ion was to test for KH aswell, wouldn’t that make the director redundant?

Yes, but there is no reason they couldn't discontinue the KHd. (as long as they continue to sell the reagent of course.) It would be silly to manufacture two units that do the same thing. Unless they drop the price of the KHd significantly, that would likely encourage non GHL users to dip their toe in.

Unless the KHd is wildly more accurate than an ion probe, I'd rather they move forward with a single unit.

Entz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but there is no reason they couldn't discontinue the KHd. (as long as they continue to sell the reagent of course.) It would be silly to manufacture two units that do the same thing. Unless they drop the price of the KHd significantly, that might encorage non GHL users to dip their toe in.

Unless the KHd is wildly more accurate than an ion probe, I'd rather they move forward with a single unit.
As far as I am aware it is not possible to test alkalinity with an ion probe. They need to do titration (add an acid and test the result). If they could we would have handheld units or controller integrated ones by now.

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as I am aware it is not possible to test alkalinity with an ion probe. They need to do titration (add an acid and test the result). If they could we would have handheld units or controller integrated ones by now.

Well now I'm just sad.

tenor.gif

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many options for kh testing now days. Cheap ones too.
I now use kh guardian, once ion director is out I will add ion director and be as happy as my clam ha ha

I got the Alkatronic and love it! I've been reading through some threads, trying to find comparisons of Alkatronic vs KHg, but not many people have owned both before.

I'll be upgrading from Apex to GHL and as far as I know I can also connect the Alkatronic via BNC so its not a huge deal. I just like the idea of consolidating (and saving space lol)

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the Alkatronic and love it! I've been reading through some threads, trying to find comparisons of Alkatronic vs KHg, but not many people have owned both before.

I'll be upgrading from Apex to GHL and as far as I know I can also connect the Alkatronic via BNC so its not a huge deal. I just like the idea of consolidating (and saving space lol)
Yup. Ahead of you with some of your plans ha ha. Loving the ghl

vangvace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking forward to the design and order of operation. Like, if the KHD input from the tank can be pulled through the ION first to test both without an additional pump... winning.

That said, I have no idea what is required for ion probe testing and calibration until it is displayed at MACNA.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but could it be tested with an ion probe? Early adopters of the KHd might not be happy but in the long run, having one tester to rule them all would be ideal. Both from a manufacturing standpoint and a consumer standpoint.

Alkalinity isn't an ion. It's no singular thing in saltwater, so a stand alone ion probe wouldn't work for alkalinity. Maybe they could measure bicarbonate with a probe and turn that into a useful reading? I don't know? It's not simple. otherwise it would be available currently. Maybe not for hobbyist, but for the scientific world. As far as I know that doesn't exist. :(

I'm sure GHL looked into any and all possibilities to measure alkalinity. Maybe another decade or so we will have something else!?

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alkalinity isn't an ion. It's no singular thing in saltwater, so a stand alone ion probe wouldn't work for alkalinity. Maybe they could measure bicarbonate with a probe and turn that into a useful reading? I don't know? It's not simple. otherwise it would be available currently. Maybe not for hobbyist, but for the scientific world. As far as I know that doesn't exist. :(

Yeah, now that you mention it, I remember the old Randy Holmes article talking about how alkalinity is actually just a stand-in, because Alk was easier to test for.

"The primary reason that we care about alkalinity is that when organisms build calcium carbonate skeletons, they effectively remove calcium and carbonate from the water column. If we had a handy way to measure carbonate, or especially bicarbonate, which corals use as their source of carbonate, we would likely have little interest in alkalinity. Unfortunately, measuring bicarbonate directly is difficult. Measuring alkalinity is very easy, and we use it as a surrogate measure for carbonate and bicarbonate."

Dukeap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any word on how testing and the built of this is going? Are we still going to be able to see a working model at macna? Any nee update and what has been finalized that can be said.

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, now that you mention it, I remember the old Randy Holmes article talking about how alkalinity is actually just a stand-in, because Alk was easier to test for.

"The primary reason that we care about alkalinity is that when organisms build calcium carbonate skeletons, they effectively remove calcium and carbonate from the water column. If we had a handy way to measure carbonate, or especially bicarbonate, which corals use as their source of carbonate, we would likely have little interest in alkalinity. Unfortunately, measuring bicarbonate directly is difficult. Measuring alkalinity is very easy, and we use it as a surrogate measure for carbonate and bicarbonate."
And I suppose the question then becomes, is there a different proxy that could be used that can be measured with an ion probe.
I think that the answer to that is also no, but maybe worth looking at?

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is this a reality or wishful thinking.. other products coming to market..

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 27.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back