Is it ok to use tap water for qt?

JMLewis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title says...

I can make some RODI but seeing if i can be lazy about this and just use tap to mix with salt for a QT.

I plan on using Prazi and cupramine. Ive ran very successfull QTs in the past but i broke my own golden rule about Quarantining and now have ich....of course. *facepalm*

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Here's the skinny on the tap water. To use that in your QT you would need to use a water conditioner such as Prime to make it safe for the fish to live in. The problem comes when you add copper to the tank as you mentioned you plan to do. These two dont mix. The water conditioner will render the copper toxic and kill your fish. I'd suggest to follow the advice already given. Please use RODI water to mix your salt. Happy Reefing :D

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you-say-tapwater.jpg

OP
OP
JMLewis

JMLewis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha ok got it. Yea I'm sure there's chloramines in it since it's not well water.

So yeah didn't want to spend the 8 or so hours it'll take to make the water but yea kinda figured it was a dumb question.

Thanks all!

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha ok got it. Yea I'm sure there's chloramines in it since it's not well water.

So yeah didn't want to spend the 8 or so hours it'll take to make the water but yea kinda figured it was a dumb question.

Thanks all!

Never a dumb question! It's good to ask before doing. :)

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being lazy put me in this predicament...you'd think I'd learn. :p

Eh. It happens to us all in one way or another. Sometimes we have to learn a lesson more than once for it to stick ;)

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Here's the skinny on the tap water. To use that in your QT you would need to use a water conditioner such as Prime to make it safe for the fish to live in. The problem comes when you add copper to the tank as you mentioned you plan to do. These two dont mix. The water conditioner will render the copper toxic and kill your fish. I'd suggest to follow the advice already given. Please use RODI water to mix your salt. Happy Reefing :D

It is probably OK unless there's chloramine in it.

^^ I agree with both of the above. The only time you want to use "tap water" in QT is if you are sure it contains no chloramines and thus no need to use a water conditioner. However, a thrifty/lazy hobbyist can use water from their DT to fill the QT. Make good use of your next water change. :D Obviously, this only works if you are 100% confident that your display tank is disease free and don’t siphon anything off the bottom. ;)

OP
OP
JMLewis

JMLewis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for the record i went ahead and set up the QT with NSW from the local FS. Heres to 72 days!

Used an old 30g "sump" for an old tank just had lying around

Using Seachem Stability, since i dont have a chance to use a seeded sponge, time is of the essence!

20151121_163715.jpg

20151121_175425.jpg

FlyPenFly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think prime goes away in about 48 hours no? I imagine you can use that in a hospital or qt tank once prime has dissipated.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 35 35.7%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 53 54.1%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 4 4.1%
Back