Is it possible to do too many water changes?

Zainav

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Depends on what's in the tank. For corals, having the water too clean won't do well for them. Corals need little Nitrates and Phosphates. If you do more than 1 water change per day, your fish will experience unnecessary stress. This is because the water parameters are fluctuating. Just do once weekly or bi-weekly

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think water changes are beneficial as long as they don't mess with the tank's stability. Too many or too large may change parameters if not done carefully.

OP
OP
wolt

wolt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too many COULD be bad, you don't want to bottom out your parameters to 0
my tank is pretty small and i had to get new carpet so i had to move/slide the tank somewhere else but it is too heavy when its full with water so i had to empty like around 40% water and then move it and then add new saltwater but now i have to move it back so i dont know if another 40% water change would be too much? I might be able to do only 30% this time but idk yet. also my nitrates were already pretty high before the water changes like around 15.

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my tank is pretty small and i had to get new carpet so i had to move/slide the tank somewhere else but it is too heavy when its full with water so i had to empty like around 40% water and then move it and then add new saltwater but now i have to move it back so i dont know if another 40% water change would be too much? I might be able to do only 30% this time but idk yet. also my nitrates were already pretty high before the water changes like around 15.
Nothing to do with the water but here is a Tip on moving your setup. Buy some pvc pipe. Cut the pipe to about 6 inches wider than your setup. Get your setup onto the cut pipes. The more pipes the better. Roll the setup over the pipes. As the pipes behind your move are exposed, pick them up and put them down in front and keep rolling. On smooth floors, 1/2 inch diameter works Greta. On carpets, go with 3/4 inch or even one inch diameter. It's like an escalator.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
You should be fine.
Save a little $ and save some of the water you take out before the move.

Zainav

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
you can also place the water temporarily on a separate container and just fill it back up after the move

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would too many water changes be bad for a tank or would it be fine?
I think it depends on the amount of water being changed. I do daily water changes on my tanks but in small amounts. I think this way is better for the tank because the swings from small water changes are minimal vs larger water changes. It helps that I'm retired and have plenty of time on hand.

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would too many water changes be bad for a tank or would it be fine?
@wolt that likely depends on if you are dosing or using additives. Additionally, it might make a difference depending on where the water is coming from. Some folks have automatic water changing stations and depending on where that is and also, is it RO or RODI, filters and resin still working well, etc. would impact this.

OP
OP
wolt

wolt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@wolt that likely depends on if you are dosing or using additives. Additionally, it might make a difference depending on where the water is coming from. Some folks have automatic water changing stations and depending on where that is and also, is it RO or RODI, filters and resin still working well, etc. would impact this.
im getting the water from my LFS and I believe they use Fritz RPM salt

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 164 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back