Is my clownfish dying? How can I help it do better?

maurice-io

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, this is my first saltwater fish (1 of 2 clownfish), and it doesn't seem to be doing well. There's a white "flake" coming out of its side/gill, and it's breathing hard from its mouth. See video below.
Can someone please help me figure out what it is and how I can treat it??

See the white patch on his left side, and also the white dot on the right side (the white dot seems gone now, btw, but the patch is still there)

Video: my sick clownfish

Thanks!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, this is my first saltwater fish (1 of 2 clownfish), and it doesn't seem to be doing well. There's a white "flake" coming out of its side/gill, and it's breathing hard from its mouth. See video below.

See the white patch on his left side, and also the white dot on the right side (the white dot seems gone now, btw, but the patch is still there)

Thanks!
I’m struggling to see what you are concerned about. Feed the fish well and I think they are going to be okay.

A still picture of the fish would be easier to view the area of concern. I don’t know if there is any problem, the fish were swimming ok, the white patches didn’t appear to be problematic, but a clear still image would be nice!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Thanks!
They look very normal and getting along. Assure you dont have too much flow that they are resisting water current.

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they look fine, i think maybe what you were worried about might have been a scale (now that i think about it i dont think they have scales) but i dont see anything to worry about. believe me you will see much stranger things that you will worry bout with these fish. they are weirdddddd. my clowns sleep on their side like they are dead on my magnet scraper

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Thanks!
Before answering - 1. It doesn't look sick. 2. There is a large triangular patch on one side and a 'spot' on the other. They are both so bright - and distinct I would not think they are a disease. How have they developed - i.e. time, etc - And just to be certain - assuming you're talking about the dark clown? Have those areas changed since you got the fish?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see a white spot that is too large to be ich and is probably just a dislodged scale.

Jay

OP
OP
maurice-io

maurice-io

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m struggling to see what you are concerned about. Feed the fish well and I think they are going to be okay.

A still picture of the fish would be easier to view the area of concern. I don’t know if there is any problem, the fish were swimming ok, the white patches didn’t appear to be problematic, but a clear still image would be nice!
Thanks Kris and everyone else. Here's a clear picture of how he's looking right now. The triangular patch on his left side seems like it's peeled and has an extension down closer to his face
+ there appear to be a whole bunch of tiny white dots all over his back. ((Edited: turns out the white dots were indeed sand))

He's now sitting barely moving at the bottom of the quarantine tank and has also been breathing heavily since early this morning when he was still in the display tank.

Edited::
At this point I will let him de-stress and see how he's doing tomorrow...

Thanks again everyone for the responses. You can ignore this thread. I'll create something more clear if anything new comes up.

white dots on dark clownfish.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
maurice-io

maurice-io

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before answering - 1. It doesn't look sick. 2. There is a large triangular patch on one side and a 'spot' on the other. They are both so bright - and distinct I would not think they are a disease. How have they developed - i.e. time, etc - And just to be certain - assuming you're talking about the dark clown? Have those areas changed since you got the fish?
Thanks MnFish - I only noticed those white patches today since he was breathing heavily and seemed distressed this morning, but from looking at pictures, it seems that they were there from since I got him. He has been in my tank only 2 days. At this point i think I'll just let him rest/recover till tomorrow and see how things evolve.

Last edited:

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 85 44.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 66 34.4%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 27 14.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%

Back