Is my coral dead or dying? (new to hobby)

Reefin4L

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i got this coral like a few weeks ago everything was good until i did a slight water change and added new salt the next day i woke up it looked like it had white algae and some parts look fine. should i remove it from my tank or leave it there and see what happens? will the dead/dying coral affect the water quality?
IMG_9862.jpeg
IMG_9859.jpeg

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't look dead, but what is all that white stuff? Judging from the buildup on the rocks and the flat water surface, looks like you need some flow, do you have any powerheads in the tank?

OP
OP
R

Reefin4L

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah your probably right. i only have one wave pump (500 gph) facing one side. is that good? but i think i should get 2 so that way it can clean up the sand and all that right? because theres also few build up on the sand as well or should i buy a more powerful wave pump? this tank specifically is 10 gallons. also is there any other way to remove the brown algae quicker
IMG_9863.jpeg

Aidan_823

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the hobby!

Be prepared to read an essay lol

Hey, this tank is a ten gallon right?

Ten gallons could be a little more difficult, just because of the size of it. With the smaller size the stability of parameters move a lot easier and faster. Do you know what coral it is? Does the white stuff on the rocks blow off or is it stuck on? (If it does) do a water change, suck out as much as you can. It may just be sand that was blown up or unmixed salt. (If it doesn’t) honestly, I would leave it until the cycle is complete, see if it handles itself or if even more comes back. What filter do you have? A hang on back? Yes, if the coral dies it may spike ammonia, but if there is already ammonia present and/or nitrite present the coral might hate it and do poorly.

Bleaching:

To me, the coral looks like it is a goniopora/alveopora. Do you see how the top of the skeleton that is facing the light is very light in color compared to the sides? That more than likely means the coral is starting to bleach. Caused by either too much or too little light. It looks like it is getting too much, is it near the top of the tank? Goni/alveo. don’t need much light, just a lot of flow. You may need to move it around, don’t worry too much about the bleached part, it might end up dying but it will grow back eventually. Keep an eye on the sides just to make sure the other polyps aren’t dying too (polyps are the part that comes out, the head) if they do start bleaching as well, be sure to keep an eye on your parameters, light intensity and schedule.

Light:

What light do you have on the tank? Is it a name brand one or is it one off of Amazon? For a ten gallon I’d honestly try to get a Kessil A80 or an AI prime a little on the expensive side but still a very good light. Although, this depends on the coral you are planning to have. If you want softies, like mushrooms or zoanthids you don’t need an expensive light. If you want to move into LPS (large polyp stony) you might need to look into one. Also depends on the particular coral some absolutely suck, and some are so easy to grow it’s a problem. If I were you, I wouldn’t look at the SPS (small polyp stony) they get to be a problem right off the bat. They usually come in frags that look like sticks that are fuzzy.

Good luck and happy reefing!

OP
OP
R

Reefin4L

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the hobby!

Be prepared to read an essay lol

Hey, this tank is a ten gallon right?

Ten gallons could be a little more difficult, just because of the size of it. With the smaller size the stability of parameters move a lot easier and faster. Do you know what coral it is? Does the white stuff on the rocks blow off or is it stuck on? (If it does) do a water change, suck out as much as you can. It may just be sand that was blown up or unmixed salt. (If it doesn’t) honestly, I would leave it until the cycle is complete, see if it handles itself or if even more comes back. What filter do you have? A hang on back? Yes, if the coral dies it may spike ammonia, but if there is already ammonia present and/or nitrite present the coral might hate it and do poorly.

Bleaching:

To me, the coral looks like it is a goniopora/alveopora. Do you see how the top of the skeleton that is facing the light is very light in color compared to the sides? That more than likely means the coral is starting to bleach. Caused by either too much or too little light. It looks like it is getting too much, is it near the top of the tank? Goni/alveo. don’t need much light, just a lot of flow. You may need to move it around, don’t worry too much about the bleached part, it might end up dying but it will grow back eventually. Keep an eye on the sides just to make sure the other polyps aren’t dying too (polyps are the part that comes out, the head) if they do start bleaching as well, be sure to keep an eye on your parameters, light intensity and schedule.

Light:

What light do you have on the tank? Is it a name brand one or is it one off of Amazon? For a ten gallon I’d honestly try to get a Kessil A80 or an AI prime a little on the expensive side but still a very good light. Although, this depends on the coral you are planning to have. If you want softies, like mushrooms or zoanthids you don’t need an expensive light. If you want to move into LPS (large polyp stony) you might need to look into one. Also depends on the particular coral some absolutely suck, and some are so easy to grow it’s a problem. If I were you, I wouldn’t look at the SPS (small polyp stony) they get to be a problem right off the bat. They usually come in frags that look like sticks that are fuzzy.

Good luck and happy reefing!
thank you so much for the feedback!, do you mind if i reach out to you from time to time if i have any concerns? but yes its a hang on the back by the brand aqaumaxx and the lights i am running is the AI blade 12 inch coral grow light and the fluval nano light. are they good lights or should i buy a kessil? the coral name is a blue eye lepta ( leptastrea) which is doing somewhat better. the sides look perfect just the majority of the top is like full of algae or salt mix not sure or bleached. i have a 500 gph powerhead, is that good or would i need around 700-800 gph? the also brown algae on my tank has cleared and looks good now, i will test the water right now. these are my light settings: (is the light setting good or do i need a kessil light instead.)

Attachments

• IMG_9943.jpeg
    IMG_9943.jpeg
    278.9 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_9941.jpeg
    IMG_9941.jpeg
    216.6 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_9944.jpeg
    IMG_9944.jpeg
    250.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_9946.png
    IMG_9946.png
    52.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_9945.png
    IMG_9945.png
    88.8 KB · Views: 22
OP
OP
R

Reefin4L

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have zoas, soft hammer coral, blue eye lepta, a lobophyllia coral, green mushroom coral and a neon gsp coral. they were fine a few days ago but i added salt and your definitely right the parameters move around fast and quickly . then the next day they were all closed. do i need better flow? or do some need less light? before i added the salt change it was at 1.020 S.G. after i added it climbed to 1.023 S.G. (current level)

ALSO i have these microsized insect or i think it’s plankton i don’t know but is it good for the tank or bad? Sorry for so many questions but thank you everyone for the help

Attachments

• IMG_9947.jpeg
    IMG_9947.jpeg
    170.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_9948.jpeg
    IMG_9948.jpeg
    237.9 KB · Views: 28

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How quick was the change in salinity? Give it a couple days for them to acclimate again.....should be ok...
and no offense meant, but spend $20 or so and get a refractometer instead of your current one....those are "ok", but will not always give accurate readings

OP
OP
R

Reefin4L

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How quick was the change in salinity? Give it a couple days for them to acclimate again.....should be ok
i did 1/2 of a cup of saltwater every 3 min for a total of 1 and 1/4 cup and it changed salinity in around 13 mins, and alr thank you

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends what your goals are.
But whatever you do, do its slowly.......
IMO, for 10G, I would do 5% every other week....
More important is to keep that salinity level consistent....I would look at getting a gravity ATO.....or if you have extra $$$ get a powered one....

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, everyone is talking about lighting and flow. Now that is very important too but nobody has mentioned
1) parms (specific # “ok” is not ok)
2) tank age
3) how did salinity get so low? Do you make your own water or purchase pre made?

I’m pretty confused as to how salinity dropped instead of rising but I’ll help in any way I can

OP
OP
R

Reefin4L

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, everyone is talking about lighting and flow. Now that is very important too but nobody has mentioned
1) parms (specific # “ok” is not ok)
2) tank age
3) how did salinity get so low? Do you make your own water or purchase pre made?

I’m pretty confused as to how salinity dropped instead of rising but I’ll help in any way I can
it lowered because when i was vacuuming the water it was taking out water as well so i threw out 6 % the water and dumped fresh water in then later on added salt water again to bring it back to regular level , the tank is 2 almost three months old. i made my own saltwater

DED65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the sides look perfect just the majority of the top is like full of algae or salt mix not sure or bleached.
Parameters do not matter if the salt is being added to the tank undiluted. Salt mix must be completely dissolved in water before being added to the tank. Salt mix, undiluted, added to the tank is very toxic to anything living. “The top is like full of algae or salt mix not sure or bleached” says to me that the undiluted salt mix is being dumped into the tank and that will be toxic.

OP
OP
R

Reefin4L

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parameters do not matter if the salt is being added to the tank undiluted. Salt mix must be completely dissolved in water before being added to the tank. Salt mix, undiluted, added to the tank is very toxic to anything living. “The top is like full of algae or salt mix not sure or bleached” says to me that the undiluted salt mix is being dumped into the tank and that will be toxic
i made sure the salt was dissolved first then poured it in and right now everything is fine just that the top completely bleached i believe
meanwhile the sides look perfect and normal

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 19 21.1%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 20 22.2%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 12 13.3%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 34 37.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back