Is my Red Sea Reefer XL 425 safe to fill? Serious concern.

azreeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read the whole post and been following since it started. I am saying something like this will take a few months to resolve when you look at shipping logistics, etc.

If the OP continues to be kind, let Red Sea know that he is not going to fill the tank, and stand his ground, I am sure Red Sea will resolve the issue.

This process probably started 2 weeks ago, so it is still pretty early. I have dealt with these sorts of issues and going nuclear at this point will not get you as far as being kind and reasonable. Red Sea has to deal with enough people who are mad, they will make a priority out of someone who is nice but firm.

You and I clearly handle things differently. Not a chance I would let this drag on for months. In fact if it’s been a couple weeks that’s plenty of time for RS to make this right. With the pictures he sent them they should have sent a new tank ASAP not an email saying go for it fill her up and good luck!!!
OP you spent $$$$ and it’s you deserve a new tank that meets your standards or a refund. Best of luck

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of shipping logistics? Red Sea issues an RGA, Mike repacks the tank and returns it either to the LFS or the distributer at Red Sea's expense.
This is a black & white issue and there isn't any gray, the tank was not correctly made and personalities have nothing to do with it. You don't have to go nuclear to be polite but firm.
I think we are saying the same thing but the fact this is just a typed conversation is getting in the way lol.

I was saying to be polite but firm like you are, suggesting that the OP does not go nuclear as others have suggested.

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You and I clearly handle things differently. Not a chance I would let this drag on for months. In fact if it’s been a couple weeks that’s plenty of time for RS to make this right. With the pictures he sent them they should have sent a new tank ASAP not an email saying go for it fill her up and good luck!!!
OP you spent $$$$ and it’s you deserve a new tank that meets your standards or a refund. Best of luck
picard-facepalm.jpg

Idaho Mojo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't fill that tank if you paid me to.
If this tank were next to others on a shelf for customers to see before they buy, I dont think ANYONE would willingly buy a tank like this over one that is free of defect.

I hope RS resolves the issue and compensates you for this run around, I don't see how that could possibly be within an acceptable range.

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think we are saying the same thing but the fact this is just a typed conversation is getting in the way lol.

I was saying to be polite but firm like you are, suggesting that the OP does not go nuclear as others have suggested.

Red Sea turned him down when they replied on 3/25 and this tank is still sitting in limbo in Mike’s place. Frankly we all know that the pictures that were submitted were more than enough to warrant an exchange. I would not be patient at this point and start making demands. Unfortunately Mike lost some bargaining power when he paid cash but we all expect Red Sea who has a reputation to protect simply do the right thing!

OP
OP
Mike.P

Mike.P

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea turned him down when they replied on 3/25 and this tank is still sitting in limbo in Mike’s place. Frankly we all know that the pictures that were submitted were more than enough to warrant an exchange. I would not be patient at this point and start making demands. Unfortunately Mike lost some bargaining power when he paid cash but we all expect Red Sea who has a reputation to protect simply do the right thing!

Believe me, I'm not going to just accept it... That tank will never be wet. Ever. At least not in my house. And I will certainly not be stuck with a $2100 brick. To add to the fun, I put six 20 lb bags of live sand (unopened, of course) in it, spread evenly across the bottom; on bag six, I heard some kind of faint creak, or groan, or whatever. From the tank. Not the stand.

I even offered the LFS, and will to Red Sea as well, to pay the difference and upgrade to an XL 525. Which will baaaaarely fit where I want it, but I'd rather have the sturdier, thicker glass, at this point. I'll sleep better at night.

I see that Red Sea is a sponsor of this forum, is there anyway to tag them in this thread? Or reach out to whoever is their rep is on here, if anyone knows?

And again, THANK YOU ALL SO VERY, VERY MUCH FOR ALL THE INPUT, AND SUPPORT! It's more than I expected.

Last edited:

Ernie C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you create an online petition to get Red Sea to replace your tank I’ll sign. I have a Red Sea 350 Deluxe and have had great experience with their customer support. I’d expect nothing less than a replacement with the least amount of hassle.

azreeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be shocked if RS does not make this right. I would also Not be patient after their email response. On another note find yourself another LFS, that guy has horrible ethics. As a business owner he has the account with RS and he can go to bat for you. He has decided to take the high road. I would have made it right with you as MY customer. Then I would have dealt with the exchange while my client is enjoying his new tank. I hope you never set foot in his store .....after you get this issue resolved of course.

OP
OP
Mike.P

Mike.P

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be shocked if RS does not make this right. I would also Not be patient after their email response. On another note find yourself another LFS, that guy has horrible ethics. As a business owner he has the account with RS and he can go to bat for you. He has decided to take the high road. I would have made it right with you as MY customer. Then I would have dealt with the exchange while my client is enjoying his new tank. I hope you never set foot in his store .....after you get this issue resolved of course.
I'm giving him a chance... He's a young guy, military vet, and I'm pretty sure everything that his family has is tied up in this business. That's why I went with him. Also partially out of selfishness, since he's ten minutes away. The next closest store is a 45 minute drive from my house, and traffic in Colorado has gotten miserable. lol. I mean I could have bought it online, saved a few bucks, and right about now BRS, or someone like them, would be ripping Red Sea a new hole or two. (Side note: Is there a profanity filter somewhere, that I can turn off? =P) I'm pretty certain that, if it comes to it, he'll do the right thing.
I'm not in a giant rush. Still deciding on a few things equipment wise, planning the layout, stuff like that. Besides which, with all the free time that I have, it would be a month before this thing was spun up anyway. As long as someone takes care of this, I'm happy to be patient, for the moment.

Last edited:

Matthew Frost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't owned a glass tank in years, I love acrylic. That much deflection in a tank WILL cause a failure. The glass simply will not stand up to the torsional stress, and if by some miracle it does it transfers all of the stress to the silicone and one of your seems fails at 217... AM... On a Sunday night... When your out of town...

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Believe me, I'm not going to just accept it... That tank will never be wet. Ever. At least not in my house. And I will certainly not be stuck with a $2100 brick. To add to the fun, I put six 20 lb bags of live sand (unopened, of course) in it, spread evenly across the bottom; on bag six, I heard some kind of faint creak, or groan, or whatever. From the tank. Not the stand.

I even offered the LFS, and will to Red Sea as well, to pay the difference and upgrade to an XL 525. Which will baaaaarely fit where I want it, but I'd rather have the sturdier, thicker glass, at this point. I'll sleep better at night.

I see that Red Sea is a sponsor of this forum, is there anyway to tag them in this thread? Or reach out to whoever is their rep is on here, if anyone knows?

And again, THANK YOU ALL SO VERY, VERY MUCH FOR ALL THE INPUT, AND SUPPORT! It's more than I expected.

I recently started a thread asking if they had a rep and the replies recommended that I email them.

The 425 is a great tank, don’t get something that will be too large. Stick to your guns and be persistent!

OP
OP
Mike.P

Mike.P

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't owned a glass tank in years, I love acrylic. That much deflection in a tank WILL cause a failure. The glass simply will not stand up to the torsional stress, and if by some miracle it does it transfers all of the stress to the silicone and one of your seems fails at 217... AM... On a Sunday night... When your out of town...
Exactly right. Especially on account of the bowing happening at two corners opposite to each other. Diagonally, at that. Not only is it torsional stress, it's shear force as well. Which a rigid piece of glass is not meant to take. I wonder if Red Sea's customer service showed my e-mails to one of their engineers, aside from a supervisor. Because I have feeling that an engineer would not have been amused.

OP
OP
Mike.P

Mike.P

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently started a thread asking if they had a rep and the replies recommended that I email them.

The 425 is a great tank, don’t get something that will be too large. Stick to your guns and be persistent!

Maybe I just need to keep email-bombing them. I'm about to just send them a link to this thread... Like, here you go kids, enjoy. The 525 would work for me too. I just had an idea to put a nano-ish tank next to it, that would match it height-wise; then use that to culture drags, and acros, since they're finicky. But I can always just stick a magnetic rack in the big tank, or keep them down in the fuge.

ruskimax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I double the sentiment that RS has been A+ when its come to correcting issues I've had w their products. Don't fill the tank, spend the dry time planning like you said you were going to, and keep everyones feet to the fire. Young veteran or not, he should know that sticking someone with a defective product is the quickest way to gain a bad reputation. I stopped going to my LFS earlier this year for much less than you've dealt with. At the end of the day, we can get everything cheaper online, end of story. Good luck w your return to reefing, keep in mind that this situation is quite unique and you should expect the usual curveballs going forward. Again, Im slightly shocked that RS has left you hanging like it has.

OP
OP
Mike.P

Mike.P

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I double the sentiment that RS has been A+ when its come to correcting issues I've had w their products. Don't fill the tank, spend the dry time planning like you said you were going to, and keep everyones feet to the fire. Young veteran or not, he should know that sticking someone with a defective product is the quickest way to gain a bad reputation. I stopped going to my LFS earlier this year for much less than you've dealt with. At the end of the day, we can get everything cheaper online, end of story. Good luck w your return to reefing, keep in mind that this situation is quite unique and you should expect the usual curveballs going forward. Again, Im slightly shocked that RS has left you hanging like it has.

Thank you for the support! Oh, I know... I expect the usual brain damage that comes in the first year. Haha! So long as I don't have a tank blowout, like the last time. Hence this issue.

Also: Dobrii Vecher! I'm Ruski Mikhail. Or did I misinterpret your username? =P

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd run with it. If disaster does strike you have the manufacturer on record telling you it's fine. They would be liable for all damages. Doubt they would say that if it weren't true

Haha, good luck extracting that! I agree it should be fine though.

ruskimax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, born there unfortunately, don't hold it against me. The only hacking Im into is spending too much on frags. Vso haroshava tavarish, use this site to learn as much as you can. I joined a few months (and a few $$$$) too late, kind of crazy that in this hobby you can posit a question and within a few hours have PhDs providing you w amazing insight. Happy reefing comrade...

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 28.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%

Back