Is my tank too close to the outlet?

TheNewClownFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I set up a small 6G bookshelf tank where I’ll likely toss in corals for fun, as a small farm. I set it up and realized it’s a bit close to my outlet. Any tips on what to do, aside from drip loops? Space is a bit limited in the room. But if it’s that bad I can definitely try to move it. I just started cycling it today
IMG_9020.jpeg

OP
OP
T

TheNewClownFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could buy an outdoor faceplate cover to protect the outlet/plugs and run the cords out the bottom,,, plus driploops below, like you mentioned.

Lots of options but something kinda like this:
Outdoor Faceplate Cover
Thanks my friend. Would following those be enough? Aside from splashes which im very careful of, anything else I should be aware?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey all,

I set up a small 6G bookshelf tank where I’ll likely toss in corals for fun, as a small farm. I set it up and realized it’s a bit close to my outlet. Any tips on what to do, aside from drip loops? Space is a bit limited in the room. But if it’s that bad I can definitely try to move it. I just started cycling it today
IMG_9020.jpeg
Is this a grounded Outlet? If not, attach a grounded power strip to the back of stand which has the ability to trip should there be a fault

OP
OP
T

TheNewClownFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this a grounded Outlet? If not, attach a grounded power strip to the back of stand which has the ability to trip should there be a fault
Hey, thanks for helping as always. I’ll double check if the outlet is grounded but otherwise do what you suggested

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey, thanks for helping as always. I’ll double check if the outlet is grounded but otherwise do what you suggested
Shut off breaker and replace with GFCI or run a grounded power strip that is mounted at upper part of stand so that water cant run down to outlet (drip loop)

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I swear nearly every single tank I've ever set up has been in a similar position to an outlet like yours.
I did put in GFCI outlets a few years ago

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I swear nearly every single tank I've ever set up has been in a similar position to an outlet like yours.
^This ^
I have an outlet behind all 3 of my tanks and am setting up a new tank and just ran a new circuit and installed two behind the tank, one I can reach from inside the stand. GFCI outlets are recommended but I don't trust them for life support devices like return pump and heater. I've had them trip for no obvious reason. Even had one just fail and would not reset.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is right near the outlet as well and it is set up with a GFCI

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hey all,

One thing I would definitely do in this specific instance the way the splitter is sitting, I would rotate the direction it sits so it's facing down.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back