Is my undy picking my lionfish

Tanglover1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am battling with flukes. See what a 'sick' undy done with my lionfish. I hv shifted undy to sump. Unluckily it got sick otherwise I would donated it again. See what it had done. Will it's fin near it's poison place will come back? Will it skin will be normal?
IMG20230304223507.jpg

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't see what you are referring to, if there's a wound at the base of a spike be very careful. It would not be unlikely an undy would pick on a lion, I rehomed an undy 30 years ago for picking on my lion and puffer. Undies can be relentless, I have kept every other trigger you could mention except for the queen with my lions, and have had no trouble with any except the undy.

OP
OP
T

Tanglover1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't see what you are referring to, if there's a wound at the base of a spike be very careful. It would not be unlikely an undy would pick on a lion, I rehomed an undy 30 years ago for picking on my lion and puffer. Undies can be relentless, I have kept every other trigger you could mention except for the queen with my lions, and have had no trouble with any except the undy.
It's anal fin has been eaten and fins has become naked. Can spines become like this by flukes?
IMG_20230304_231519.jpg
IMG20230304223507.jpg
IMG_20230304_204511.jpg

Attachments

• IMG20230304203419.jpg
    IMG20230304203419.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20230304_204511.jpg
    IMG_20230304_204511.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20230304_231519.jpg
    IMG_20230304_231519.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 21
OP
OP
T

Tanglover1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh it is doing weird behaviour. It is asking/begging for food but when I offer, it ignores. It is going up and down of the mirror and I am treating for flukes in hyposalinity which I got to know thay lions does not do great in hypo.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Poor water quality and extreme malnutrition. What are your water parameters and what are you feeding. Flukes have absolutely nothing to do with it. Water quality will suffer in hypo. While lions will do fine in hypo, they must be brought into slowly and water quality must be diligently monitored. As a new addition I would strongly recommend live foods, live fish like appropriately sized mollies, if you can't find those small enough, guppies would be fine. Live gut loaded ghost shrimp would also be fine.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You said it's going up and down in front of a mirror- why do you have a mirror? Might be stressing it out, if it's pacing there- try taking that away.

OP
OP
T

Tanglover1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Poor water quality and extreme malnutrition. What are your water parameters and what are you feeding. Flukes have absolutely nothing to do with it. Water quality will suffer in hypo. While lions will do fine in hypo, they must be brought into slowly and water quality must be diligently monitored. As a new addition I would strongly recommend live foods, live fish like appropriately sized mollies, if you can't find those small enough, guppies would be fine. Live gut loaded ghost shrimp would also be fine.
I feed mollies or demsels only. It didn't accept dead food till now but today, it ignored demsels. I'll keep an eye on it as I hv shifted undy. If I saw anything else,will inform u

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Tanglover1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said it's going up and down in front of a mirror- why do you have a mirror? Might be stressing it out, if it's pacing there- try taking that away.
By mirror, I mean aquarium. Like fish begs for food, going up and down.
My mistake

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed mollies or demsels only. It didn't accept dead food till now but today, it ignored demsels. I'll keep an eye on it as I hv shifted undy. If I saw anything else,will inform u
Keep an eye. My guess is it would be shedding which they do when they get change in their environment. It is normal for them to skip a meal or 3. Let demsels be there, if it wishes to eat, they'll get disappear.

I don't know about naked spine and that marks on it's body

OP
OP
T

Tanglover1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep an eye. My guess is it would be shedding which they do when they get change in their environment. It is normal for them to skip a meal or 3. Let demsels be there, if it wishes to eat, they'll get disappear.

I don't know about naked spine and that marks on it's body
I'll keep an eye for that. It is still doing 'Glass surfing' and not eating. Demsels r still there.

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll keep an eye for that. It is still doing 'Glass surfing' and not eating. Demsels r still there.
My lionfish done this when it was new to my tank. May be it is little stresses so ignoring food. Give it some time to settle in new environment.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen your other post and I think your situation is more complicated. One thing at a time, what are your water parameters. Naked spines indicate poor water quality.

Naked spines also indicate poor nutrition, how long have had the lion, how often and what are you feeding them. Adding any saltwater fish as food will just be another vector of adding disease.

Lions will also be susceptible to flukes. Being in the same system as the undy, whatever diagnosis the undy gets, the same goes with the lion. Follow @Jay Hemdal recommendations.

Are the abrasions on the side scrapes or is the skin peeling. If it's scrapes then it's likely due to aggression from the undy. If it's peeling then it's more serious than that, along with the naked spines could be velvet.

OP
OP
T

Tanglover1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen your other post and I think your situation is more complicated. One thing at a time, what are your water parameters. Naked spines indicate poor water quality.

Naked spines also indicate poor nutrition, how long have had the lion, how often and what are you feeding them. Adding any saltwater fish as food will just be another vector of adding disease.

Lions will also be susceptible to flukes. Being in the same system as the undy, whatever diagnosis the undy gets, the same goes with the lion. Follow @Jay Hemdal recommendations.

Are the abrasions on the side scrapes or is the skin peeling. If it's scrapes then it's likely due to aggression from the undy. If it's peeling then it's more serious than that, along with the naked spines could be velvet.
It is like it scrapes. King kong was right, it is shedding. I can see cuticles flowing in my tank. I hv checked everything. Only ammonia is little up at 1. I had this lionfish from 2 weeks, 1 week qt and 1 week in display then it started to show symptoms of flukes i.e, spitting water from mouth, little dots developed and hanging on one place. I remember I had done fw dip when I noticed this all, can fw dip do this?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is like it scrapes. King kong was right, it is shedding. I can see cuticles flowing in my tank. I hv checked everything. Only ammonia is little up at 1. I had this lionfish from 2 weeks, 1 week qt and 1 week in display then it started to show symptoms of flukes i.e, spitting water from mouth, little dots developed and hanging on one place. I remember I had done fw dip when I noticed this all, can fw dip do this?
I think multiple issues may be in play here. Ammonia at 1 ppm is too high and if the pH is above 8, it can be lethal.
This fish may be the one who brought the flukes in? If do, it’s had the issue longer than the other fish, do is going to be sicker - and may have developed a secondary bacterial infection. You need to get the flukes under control. In the other post, it seemed hyposalinity wasn’t working, so you’ll need to use Prazipro. The skin missing on the spines could be from the trigger, but more likely it is from abrasion catching it in a net, or bacterial, or both.
Jay

OP
OP
T

Tanglover1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think multiple issues may be in play here. Ammonia at 1 ppm is too high and if the pH is above 8, it can be lethal.
This fish may be the one who brought the flukes in? If do, it’s had the issue longer than the other fish, do is going to be sicker - and may have developed a secondary bacterial infection. You need to get the flukes under control. In the other post, it seemed hyposalinity wasn’t working, so you’ll need to use Prazipro. The skin missing on the spines could be from the trigger, but more likely it is from abrasion catching it in a net, or bacterial, or both.
Jay
Can be because of net. I hv done fw dip. so may be it got hit by rock so it's skin got that when i tried to catch it. It is looking good mow and eaten 5 demsels and now looking normal.

OP
OP
T

Tanglover1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed that it's one of it's anal fin is gone/disappeared so may be trigger was also responsible. I'll keep am close eye on it for now as it is looking fine now

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 165 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.8%
Back