is my yellow coris wrasse sick?

dragonfisher33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i got this wrasse for more than three months now. it was only 2.5inches (still a juvie i suppose) when i got him and put him into my QT tank immediately. i QT him for two weeks (with melafix and prazipro) and had to take him into my DT early because i overdosed the QT tank with melafix (which is targeted for my injured pearly jawfish). the lack of available saltwater and the fact that the wrasse was on its side made me jump the gun. fast forward weeks later: i noticed that the wrasse is hitting on the sand and the live rock. i immediately thought about ich and watched over it for the next week or so just to get an idea of what it could be. the rest of my livestock doesn't exhibit the same "hitting on the sand/liverock behavior". so last night i catch the little darn fish and put it into my QT tank with some dosage of prozipro again. while obersving the fish, i notice that the behavior is GONE. my QT tank has a koralia 425 pump with AC HOB filter and some live rock. WHAT THE HECK?

OP
OP
dragonfisher33

dragonfisher33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i should add that i'm still QTing my pearly jawfish (the last one died on me due to the injury) and my diamond goby, the fish i had the longest since i started reefing, just as a precautionary move. the other fish will stay in the DT because the QT tank is not big enough to host them all.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's unclear to me what type of behavior you deemed as problematic; can you clarify what the fish was doing?

If it was "bouncing" off various things in the tank, this was likely a territory display.

OP
OP
dragonfisher33

dragonfisher33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's unclear to me what type of behavior you deemed as problematic; can you clarify what the fish was doing?

If it was "bouncing" off various things in the tank, this was likely a territory display.

can you define "bouncing"? the wrasse is "scratching" on the sand and live rock. you can say it looks like it's bouncing on its side. As far as I know, there's no spots on the body and it doesn't breathe fast. also it eats like a champ

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Bouncing", as in it might look trampoline-like; a very quick "flick" off of a surface.

"Scratching" behavior is quite different; the fish drags the side of it's body along a surface as it slowly swims past.

OP
OP
dragonfisher33

dragonfisher33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Bouncing", as in it might look trampoline-like; a very quick "flick" off of a surface.

"Scratching" behavior is quite different; the fish drags the side of it's body along a surface as it slowly swims past.

thanks. I think my wrasse is bouncing then. I have not seen it "dragging"

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 51 34.7%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 38 25.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 28 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back