OP
R

reef91320

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's active no other symptom
Have a mimic tang showing symptoms of little infrequent t scratching have created a post for it

OP
OP
R

reef91320

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uploading video for mimic tang

Yellow tang I have had since Jan mimic has been there for 1 month
They are all eating and active

Did not have qt procedure but will be adding a 40 breeder with tight qt process going ahead
Mimic tang had red color around gills and white dots that are visible at an angle only
It scratches against sand bed at times
Wondering if my tank has ich and parasites that ned to be treated
Will add video on my setup in a few
I have a dedicated biofil that I converted to a refugium and it is full of macroalgae and copepods are all over
It is relatively a new tank since October
Lots of live rock and all parameters look good
Salinity between 1.024 and 1.025
Cal 480
Ph I am maintaining at 8.3
Dosing 50 ml esv part1 for alklamity via doses calcium is already on high side
Phosphates are generally at 0 trying to get it stable at 0.3
Mg is 1300
Nitrates between 5 and 10
Display tank feeds into a 40 breeder where I have a roller matt so far no protein skimmer . 40 breeder sump feeds and syncs with 20 gallon biofill sump that have converted to a refugium with loads of macro algae and copepods
Return from refugium feeds 40 breeder sump that returns into display

OP
OP
R

reef91320

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please note on the yellow tang I am worried about the black pigment under skin not the white spec. The white spec is on the glass

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please note on the yellow tang I am worried about the black pigment under skin not the white spec. The white spec is on the glass
The second video didn't come through - was that of the yellow tang?

I replied to your other post. I don't see clear evidence of ich, and the flashing/scratching is more a sign of flukes.

Black spots on tangs is often turbellarian worms. Depending on the number of spots, this can go away on its own. In severe cases, formalin or FW dips are needed to control it. You'll read a lot about using praziquantel for this, but really, that medication isn't very effective against this issue. The fish could well have BOTH problems.

Praziquantel is mostly reef and display tank safe. You can use either pure prazi or prazipro (not General Cure in a reef). Dose it twice, 8 days apart with GOOD aeration. Run your skimmer, but don't collect the skimmate. Turn off any carbon or UV during the treatment. In some cases, 3 or more treatments are needed to break the life cycle due to eggs hatching later on.

Jay

OP
OP
R

reef91320

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Below is the video of mimic tamg
The yellow tamg did not seem to have the blakish pigment under the skin prior to adding mimic tang
Over ghe last month i noticed it and some online articles mentioned yellow tamg can change color to look darker.

I will be taking out all my fishes and put them in a qt and put th in a fresh water dip to rule out worms

Not sure which you tube video is not working
Pasting the link to yellow tank as well

Noted for prazi will try out and provide feedback

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Below is the video of mimic tamg
The yellow tamg did not seem to have the blakish pigment under the skin prior to adding mimic tang
Over ghe last month i noticed it and some online articles mentioned yellow tamg can change color to look darker.

I will be taking out all my fishes and put them in a qt and put th in a fresh water dip to rule out worms

Not sure which you tube video is not working
Pasting the link to yellow tank as well

Noted for prazi will try out and provide feedback

Those spots don't look distinctly dark with sharp edges like turbellarians do. I think there could be flukes in play here - I would try the prazi.....

OP
OP
R

reef91320

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those spots don't look distinctly dark with sharp edges like turbellarians do. I think there could be flukes in play here - I would try the prazi.....
After a freshwater dip I saw flukes on mimic tang, yellow tang did not drop of anything but coloration got darker on body
They seemed to be doing OK but lost both fishes after prazi pro treatment . Still shocked , they seemed to do ok for couple of hrs and after a 3 hr break they were both struggling and did not make it through the night. Amazingly the mollys is fine . I had a airstone ans powerhead running but likely needed more if o2 had anything to do with it .
I have been reading non stop on flukes and ich treatments and started h202 dosing for the tank today. Prazi was already done and will do a second round of prazipro coming weekend to the aquarium to complete the cycle. Will ramp up h2o2 for long term control till I have added new fish and everything is stable. I think I will need to mature this as the aquarium eco system responds.
Have added dedicated qt that is cycling.
Looks like h2o2 can help with long term control of infections and will share my experience and learning from it for the community in a new post once I have some findings good or bad.

Refeing to below for h2o2

Never faced this before looks like i need to build a bulletproof parasite control measure in place for any new additions

Copepods and aquarium otherwise is ok . Inverts snails are ok , corals I believe are not impacted though one of the 3 Kenya trees seems to not be opening up ,not sure if it's prazi or just coincidence .
I will add another set of mollys as control as things mature . My confidence on mollys is very high since they are not impacted much by saltwater parasites it seems.

Thanks for responses and help during a time of distress . I pledge to make the environment safe and healthy for the inhabitants. There is a lot I have learnt and more I learn the more I understand why reef is not for a general hobbyist ,if we want to respect the ocean and its habitat.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a freshwater dip I saw flukes on mimic tang, yellow tang did not drop of anything but coloration got darker on body
They seemed to be doing OK but lost both fishes after prazi pro treatment . Still shocked , they seemed to do ok for couple of hrs and after a 3 hr break they were both struggling and did not make it through the night. Amazingly the mollys is fine . I had a airstone ans powerhead running but likely needed more if o2 had anything to do with it .
I have been reading non stop on flukes and ich treatments and started h202 dosing for the tank today. Prazi was already done and will do a second round of prazipro coming weekend to the aquarium to complete the cycle. Will ramp up h2o2 for long term control till I have added new fish and everything is stable. I think I will need to mature this as the aquarium eco system responds.
Have added dedicated qt that is cycling.
Looks like h2o2 can help with long term control of infections and will share my experience and learning from it for the community in a new post once I have some findings good or bad.

Refeing to below for h2o2

Never faced this before looks like i need to build a bulletproof parasite control measure in place for any new additions

Copepods and aquarium otherwise is ok . Inverts snails are ok , corals I believe are not impacted though one of the 3 Kenya trees seems to not be opening up ,not sure if it's prazi or just coincidence .
I will add another set of mollys as control as things mature . My confidence on mollys is very high since they are not impacted much by saltwater parasites it seems.

Thanks for responses and help during a time of distress . I pledge to make the environment safe and healthy for the inhabitants. There is a lot I have learnt and more I learn the more I understand why reef is not for a general hobbyist ,if we want to respect the ocean and its habitat.
Sorry to hear about the tangs. However, properly done, the only reason they would die after a prazi treatment is either a miscalculation, or they had a severe infection. In those cases, when fish have hundreds/thousands of flukes, the prazi causes them to all drop off at once. The flukes had been acting as little corks. When they all drop off, the fish literally bleeds out. Trouble is, there is no way to predict that, and if you don’t treat them, the fish will die anyway. This issue can sometimes be deduced by looking at the gills of the freshly dead fish - these will be pale due to anemia.

Peroxide in those low dose treatments won’t control flukes. It works in higher doses as a dip, but the dose needed to kill flukes will also kill shrimp and will stress the fish.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 39 22.3%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 103 58.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back