Is Phosphate Control REALLY Important? How do I control it?

Lateral72

Chaetodontidae
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've all heard of the three most dreaded compounds in the home Aquarium: Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate. It seems Phosphate is quite often overlooked when setting up and maintaining a home aquarium. My personal opinion, is that Phosphate (PO4) is MORE important than Nitrates.

Why? Any amount of Phosphate in your tanks water, will prevent the calcification of a coral's skeleton. What's that mean? Your LPS and SPS won't grow! One study showed that even trace amounts of Phosphates, are able to inhibit growth in certain species of corals by up to 50%. High Phosphate levels have also been linked to the browning out of all SPS species, and the growths of nuisances algaes.

A Phosphate content of 0.05ppm (or less) is considered 'ideal'. The lower you go, the better.

Ever wonder why your precious coral won't grow? Likely because you have phosphates!

But what can we do about it?

Unfortunately for the hobbyist, Phosphates are everywhere. In our water, in our salt mix, in our live rock, our sand, the foods we feed and even in our corals photosynthesis cells.

• Use RO-DI water with fresh DI resins. Phosphate (PO4) is an Ionic Compund that is easily filtered out with DI resin. Color changing DI is the easiest way to keep check of your DI. It is also handy to keep a TDS meter on hand. Anything above 2-3 is time for a DI change.
  • ALL salts have Phosphates! Test various salt mixes for Phosphate content, and stick to the one with the lowest content. It is easy to dose Calcium, Magnesium or Alkalinity to bring a salt to spec. But it's hard to remove Phosphate.
  • Employ a Macroalgae in your refugium. Algaes LOVE phosphates, and will reduce the total Phosphate content within your aquarium water. Prune as needed.
  • Running "GFO" or Granulated Ferric Oxide (Fe2O3) will also help eliminate free Phosphate. When used in a media reactor, Ferric Oxide reacts with Phosphate to produce FePO3 or Ferric Orthophosphate by absorbtion [1]. In this form, phosphate is no longer able to react within the coral to inhibit calcification or cause browning. It is advised to stay away from Aluminum Oxide binders as it has proven to irritate certain corals. [2] Anecdotal evidence may also show Ferric Oxide can play a role in irritating corals.
  • Run a Skimmer. The skimmer can pull out organic solids before they are able to breakdown and release phosphates into the water.
  • Rinse your foods! Foods are phosphate factories. Rinsing the food in a net and RO water will get rid of any liquid it was packaged in. This will help eliminate empty phosphates from entering your tank.
  • Feed Smarter. Don't dump an entire cup of food into your tank at once. Slowly add it a little at a time. This will allow your fish to consume the food, instead of getting blown behind your rocks or into the sump where it will rot. Pellet and Flake food has exponentially higher amounts of phosphates than frozen (or even live) foods. Use pellets sparingly.
Employing a number of tips can help reduce the total content of Phosphate in your tank and help your corals color up and flourish. Because of our uphill battle against PO4, we need to use multiple techniques to reduce our total PO4 content.

EDITS:
[1]
[2]

Last edited:

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a good start. I have a couple of other things to add- you can have phosphates in your RO/DI water even without a reading on your TDS meter. Also, the calcium ion in kalkwasser will bind with the phosphate ion and take it out of solution, thus lowering your phosphates.

CJ

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GFO does not go into solution in the tank like a liquid orthophosphate or polyphosphate does. It adsorbs the phosphate on to the granular media surface where you export it with media changes.

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GFO does not go into solution in the tank like a liquid orthophosphate or polyphosphate does. It adsorbs the phosphate on to the granular media surface where you export it with media changes.

I totally skipped over that part. GFO definitely works by adsorption.

CJ

OP
OP
Lateral72

Lateral72

Chaetodontidae
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I changed the wording on a few things. You're right, it does not go into solution. Not sure why I was thinking it did. :squigglemouth:

I also added a blirp to avoid Aluminum Oxide. I did not remove the Ferric Oxide irritating corals part however. I have personally lost corals when Ferric Oxide was present in the tank.

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The greatest phosphate sink in our aquariums is macro algae according to dr Randy Holmes-Farley.

fwiw I agree. :wink:

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think most problems observed with ferric oxide products are a result of using too much and not acclimating the system to the GFO. You should never use more than 10 grams (about a level tablespoonfull) per 10 gallons of system water and you should always start with half that recommended dosage for the first meonth or so changing frequently. I have seen places such as BRS that recommends over twice that dosage and people take that for gospel. Every other vendor including TLF who were the first to offer GFO products in the aquarium hobby recommend as I do.

I keep macroalgaes in my refugium plus use a small 1/2 dose of GFO and carbon at all times and have undetectable levels in my system using Salifert kits.

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd agree with AZDeserRat on this. I've seen plenty of corals next to rusting pieces of metal while snorkeling.

CJ

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 83 44.4%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 64 34.2%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 26 13.9%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 6.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back