Is reefing getting more exciting or what do you think is going on?

Are you more excited about reefing this year than the same time last year?

• YES (tell us why in the thread)

Votes: 191 64.1%
  • NO

Votes: 99 33.2%
  • Other (please explain in the thread)

Votes: 8 2.7%

• Total voters

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My husband has expressed more interest in my tank this year since he's now work from home and sees it more often, I'm sure that has a lot to do with it across the board

Neros503

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty excited this year cause I just started the hobby. little discouraged though because I can't find the fish I'm looking for...

rusty hannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife and I have always been into tanks and reefing. We first noticed in equipment disappearing off shelves, then livestock being backed up, and more than a few newbi questions. Its our belief the covid started it but deeper still I think people want something beautiful and created by their own hands.Reefing may b one individuals hobby but like it or not its a family activity with joint involvement and better joint enjoyment. I do get frustrated wanting to order something and its on backlog or a fish or coral I want that was once plentiful, and cheap,are too on a waiting list, but then I think how many other families and friends are coming together. When thinking those thoughts ,it all feels better

Reef Tanker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been into saltwater and freshwater for about 20 years now. Only actually had a tank off and on for about 5-6 of those years unfortunately. The reef hobby is way different from when I started at 16 years old in 2000. I would say it is a lot easier now though. The quality and amount of information we have now is insane. The tank I have now and the equipment would have been almost unimaginable for me at 16.

Reeferon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been in the hobby 17 years now. When I started I read 3 books to make sure that I set up my tank well. I started with power compact lights, an Aquaclear 500 HOB filter,and a Prizm protein skimmer. Reef aquarium knowledge and good equipment is far easier to come by now.

I’m setting up a tank now after a year and a half hiatus. This is the longest break that I’ve had from the hobby. This time I’m setting up a reef with the intention of getting my 1 year old and 3 year old excited about it so this adds a new dimension of reefing happiness for me.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also been in the hobby a long time and convinced we are going backward.

The vast majority if hardcore and succesfull SPS tank owners I know don't frequent forums or share knowledge anymore. We have thread after thread of somebody with an expensive digital alk/pH/calcium meter posting nonsensical questions about dosing in a tank with virtually no coral. The lighting forum is basically a sales pitch for BRS videos. I can Google 100 different videos on YouTube about how to refine weapons grade uranium but explaining how to use a basic online reef calculator and box of baking soda is considered confusing.

I dont see anymore successfull tanks than I did 20 years ago and the only improved tech I see is in nutrient mgmt. Do you really think a Radion and futzy app is more reliable than T5 array or MH and a simple lamp timer? 100000x more threads on what Disney lighting program grows LPS vs SPS.....and we used to laugh at astrology for crying out loud.

The signal to noise was never that high 15,-20 years ago .

BiGGiePauls33

YT/GreatBeardedReef and IG/GreatBeardedReef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm most excited about this upcoming year for reefing as I've finally aquired all the pieces to my puzzle except UV sterilizer. Tanks are 100 DT with attached 80 frag/ secondary DT and 34 gallon sump. ATI 8 bulbs for fixtures, big ol reef octo elite skimmer, geo carx, carbon doser, fx-stp, tunze powerheads etc. Have a couple tenuis as testers and then lookout.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I think it was way more exciting when the hobby started. Way before the internet, cell phones and Lady GaGa. Now there is to much information,much of it wrong.
When the hobby started we saw a fish, bought the thing and had no idea what it was, what it ate, how big it got or anything else.

Thats how I ended up with a Great White Shark in my display. It was a small one. And didn't eat flakes. But still!! :oops:

AdamD76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. because I'm making my tank a in wall tank with fish room.

Ruben Sacramento

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick and simply put, I now have more knowledge and can filter out all the marketing and hype to find what I want and need in order to make reefing simple, easy and fun

Indytraveler83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me personally I was planning my current system at this time last year, so I was excited and encouraged.

A year later, I'm battling some nutrient export issues (stupid phosphate) and reaching the end of the line for some of my shorter lived livestock that I started with.

I think starting a system is always more interesting than maintaining, especially when it's not going perfect.

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 1 year old custom 225 gallon reef tank earlier this year had silicone pulling away from one of the top corners. The manufacturer stood behind their work and built me a new tank to replace it. Even let me make some modifications at no additional cost. Though it sounded good it has been a lot of work... temporary system setup to house coral, fish and rock, tare down of old system, setup of new system, of course an outbreak of ick... and 6 months later I'm finally at a point where I can enjoy it again. So goodbye 2020 and I welcome 2021! It can only get better. :)
AMEN!

Chessmanmark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait - has this tank been set up since 2006 or is the picture from 2006? looks amazing!
That was my tank back in 2006. I had just discovered ORA and had my first tank raised frags, an ORA Blue Tort, Turquiose Stag, and Green Birdsnest.
I still love ORA acros, and now fish, but I also like Jason Fox, WWC, and many of the other vendors that offered insanely colored tank raised acros. It is much easier today to have a tank full of acros without a single brown stick.

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In this hobby you have to have a good balance between motivation and boredom.

Too excited, you might purchase too much unnecessary gear / fall for the latest trend / tweak too many things / assume everything will always be on the up swing and miss a critical detail.

Not excited enough, your tank will suffer from neglect.

That Zen point in the middle, is where everything evens out and your learned habits / growing knowledge begin to produce consistent, predictable results.

Back