Is rust-oleum reef safe under water?

CLR48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wondering if this clear coat would be safe under the water level?
ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1380990857.309206.jpg

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once it is dry and the solvents or carriers have evaporated it is.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe 24-48 hours in a well ventilated place. Paints today do not contain near the VOC's they once did so are pretty safe.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
24-48 hours is more than enough. I used black Rust-oleum on pvc pipe and egg crate with no problem.

tupes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats purposes would their be to use spray paint in an aquarium?

Sent from my Note II

OP
OP
CLR48

CLR48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uhh duh,, whenever you get a fish and you don't like his color, just spray paint him a different color!works the same with corals! Haha JK but like if you have an overflow pipe that's white? And you want to paint it black so it doesn't stick out? Or anything like that

tupes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uhh duh,, whenever you get a fish and you don't like his color, just spray paint him a different color!works the same with corals! Haha JK but like if you have an overflow pipe that's white? And you want to paint it black so it doesn't stick out? Or anything like that

Haha. Alright thanks for the advice.

Sent from my Note II

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The idea that this would not leach something into the water, even long after it's cured, makes me wonder. Sure, it may become more and more passive over time, but there's still just something about the idea of introducing a cocktail of petroleum based chemicals like that into a small confined coral environment that just makes me cringe. Granted, I have no practical experience with it whatsoever. Then again, the chemical output and toxicity of the life forms we keep may far outweigh the toxicity, if any, of spray paint. (WARNING: My mindless banter may be induced by drinking out of plastic water bottles, and slow poisoning by Bisphenol A.)

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I plumbed my current 100G reef 10 years ago, I had all bulkhead holes drilled for 1". For my returns I used 3/4" Loc Line so had to use a 1"x3/4" reducer bushing which i could only find in white PVC. Granted they were eventually covered by coralline algae but I hated the white, it stood out like a sore thumb, so I used black Krylon to paint them. Been that way for 10 years with no issues.

robbrouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He talking about a clear coat, what dies he want to coat with a clear coat that will be in the water. I also used Krylon on my pipes in a 56.

philr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No way, i sell it at work, work. Call rustoleum they will tell you its not safe for exposure to drinking water for humans. That should tell you what you need to know

sherm71tank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No way, i sell it at work, work. Call rustoleum they will tell you its not safe for exposure to drinking water for humans. That should tell you what you need to know
They tell you that to cover themselves legally and I don't blame them. Even if it was safe they would have to go through extensive, time consuming and expensive testing.

Then it still probably wouldn't be approved for drinking water use because people wouldn't wait long enough for the cure time or the temperature or humidity was too low or high. Too many variables.

That said, I've used it plenty in large reef tanks and small freshwater tanks for many years with no issues. About to add a 1 1/2" Rustoleum black PVC pipe cave to a freshwater tank for a tiger moray. I love this hobby!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 7 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 15 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 57 66.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.7%
Back