Is sump needed?

Aikidoka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

I'm planning on setting up a reef tank myself. As a beginner, do I really need a sump? I already have a 75g tank not drilled, should I use it?

Thanks in advance!

reeferaddict420

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you get into saltwater, a sump is a necessary piece to have for long term success.. It will house heater, skimmer. I have run a successful reef for a couple years without one and trust me it makes it a lot easier having one.. I ended up having nitrate issues and never ending cyano outbreaks..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Bad Company

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not only that, a tank looks so much better without all the equipment hanging off of it. Also, you can run top of water easily into the sump, holding salinity much mroe consistently.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi guys,

I'm planning on setting up a reef tank myself. As a beginner, do I really need a sump? I already have a 75g tank not drilled, should I use it?

Thanks in advance!

You absolutely dont need a sump. One of my best tanks ever never had a sump on it. I used a deltec mce600 hang on the back skimmer and a hob reactor.. it also was one of the easiest tanks ever and can be cheaper.

Sumps are a convenience giving you a place to hide your equipment, they can also help increase the volume of water..

If you have a very large tank you would have to go with a sump because HOB skimmer dont come in very large sizes. A 75 gallon you will need one of the better hob skimmers.

There are some really decent HOB skimmers now a days.

Last edited:

3dees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. while a sump Is the best way to go, It Is not a must. I'm running a sumpless 120 gal. without one. you can also get a sump with an overflow without drilling.

ifarmer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sump helps because it adds more water volume
sump helps keep a lot of equipments out of your display.
but sump is not necessary
with a sump, more electricity will be used because you have to run a return pump. (require more top off )

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A sump is not necessary. You can add reactors or do more frequent water changes to keep water params balanced. Not an issue. I do not run one any longer.

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend biting the bullet and getting a sump, if you care at all about the aesthetics and ease of maintenance of your aquarium. You can drill your 75g and install a glass-holes overflow.

WhoKnew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef
I only have a 30g SWT and do not have a sump. I have a skimmer, power head and a heater. The equipment is visible in my tank, but is not an inconvenience. I have to be diligent on my water changes and water parameters. Good luck

OP
OP
A

Aikidoka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys for the input. I really appreciated it. Thinking of using a sump but my tank is not drilled, will the overflow box safe?

Please keep the responds coming, thanks!

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, overflow boxes are pretty good nowadays, but not 100% as safe as a drilled tank.

butters417

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using 1 overflow for about 3 years now on my 45gallon. Not 1 problem

OP
OP
A

Aikidoka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking buying my overflow at eBay. It should be pretty good, right?

tanked37

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My QT tank has a sponge filter, a AquaClear HoB filter, and a heater and it successfully houses corals and fish for months. I have a fish and corals in it now. Sooo, not much is *really* needed, but I would never run a 75g tank w/o a sump. Your tank is already drilled and ready to go. Definitely spend the money now and get a sump. It will cost you more in the end to upgrade the equipment to do it later when you realize you should have did it from the beginning.

OP
OP
A

Aikidoka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My QT tank has a sponge filter, a AquaClear HoB filter, and a heater and it successfully houses corals and fish for months. I have a fish and corals in it now. Sooo, not much is *really* needed, but I would never run a 75g tank w/o a sump. Your tank is already drilled and ready to go. Definitely spend the money now and get a sump. It will cost you more in the end to upgrade the equipment to do it later when you realize you should have did it from the beginning.

Thank you for the input. Unfortunately, my tank is not drilled. I'm thinking of getting an overflow from eBay.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am not a fan of HOB overflow boxes, The siphon can break. You need your pump to be sized exactly right. If to little flow bubbles build up and break the siphon, to much flow and it cant keep up... I have used them in the past and personally would not use one... If you are set on a sump, find out if it can be drilled, if it can have someone drill it for you if you dont feel comfortable doing it yourself. Not hard too do, then use a overflow box from like glass holes.

If you go with a hob overflow box go with a good one..

Here is a good article about setting them up:

http://blog.marinedepot.com/2014/02...224896785&mc_cid=f79bf30fe7&mc_eid=45e5459b94

Last edited:

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always used a HOB overflow box, have had it about 8 years. I deal with the bubble build up in the U tube by drilling it and attaching it to an aqualifter pump. The output of the aqualifter goes back into the back of the overflow box. It works like a charm. When the electricity kicks back on the aqualifter automatically starts the siphon.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.3%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 171 72.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.1%
Back