Is the Coralife 65 skimmer worth a dang?

flricordia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a chance to buy a working one for $30. I am wondering if the coralife skimmers are any good. Though they have been around for a while I have only known one person to have one and it worked OK for him. Any comments on the 65 for a 50gl?

macawmagic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my opinion is...u get what you pay for, but when I started my 55 when I was away at college I used a $20 skimmer. It was better than nothing. I'd just say if that's all you could afford then go for it! If you could afford or save for better. than do that. I can honestly say my das ex-2 way outperforms that old $20 skimmer I had. but that skimmer pulled some gunk out of my tank! LOL

hope that helps!

aquarius77

¡ Viva la revolución!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used one for a year and to be honest i woke up to 15 gallons worth of water dumped on my floor this morning, tank shorted out tripped the gfci and my temp was 71 and my blue tort was hanging out of the water. It has overflowed at least a dozen times in the year ive used it and i have it drained into a 5 gal bucket. Other than that its OK... I am still furious about this morning so my advice to you is to get something different, its really not worth the constant headache.

Burks

Toledo Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one. It's a PITA to dial in and keep dialed. Even at a relatively constant water level, it still is all over the place. I would rate it slightly better than my Red Sea Berlin (older style) but not by much. Both were free so.....yeah. I'll be DIY one soon.

$30 isn't bad at all. Some people swear by them, like a buddy of mine. He has the larger one and loves it, never had a problem. Personally I would save a bit for something a bit better or DIY.

OP
OP
flricordia

flricordia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all. It was just a cheap deal and even the local seller said it was a pin at times to keep adjusted. I have a Proclear going that is doing a fine job so I will stick with that one and use the $30 toward a zoa frag or a couple 18 packs of Bud.

kgross

Local Fish Store Owner
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 225 on a 30 gallon tank, and to be honest I don't think it works good enough for that tank.

Now I have heard of some people moding them and making pretty good skimmers out of them. But unless you want to mod it, I would suggest trying to find another skimmer

Kim

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back