Is there a dosing for dummies topic

reacclimating 2 the hobby

patience is... oh look an acro pack fs!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First thing to do is to test your water at several points during the day. This will help you to figure out how much you need to dose each day. Once you have this most products will have a recommended amount to dose in order to raise those nutrients by a certain amount based on water volume. Have you done testing?

Brad Miller

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Peter Dietz

Peter Dietz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First thing to do is to test your water at several points during the day. This will help you to figure out how much you need to dose each day. Once you have this most products will have a recommended amount to dose in order to raise those nutrients by a certain amount based on water volume. Have you done testing?
Ive tested just the basics, phosphate, nitrates, nitirites, ph, and so forth. Havent really gotten into Alk, calcium, mag. Idk if im missing others or not.

kevin_e

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may not even need to dose. What coral do you have? You need to test mag, calc and alk before diving into dosing. Become more familiar with those.

OP
OP
Peter Dietz

Peter Dietz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may not even need to dose. What coral do you have? You need to test mag, calc and alk before diving into dosing. Become more familiar with those.
I have a devils hand, a toadstool, kenya trees, and 3 anomenes. The issue i face is im not home enough and do 1 water change a month and im looking to dose trace elements and get my tank to where it could support corals

kevin_e

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a devils hand, a toadstool, kenya trees, and 3 anomenes. The issue i face is im not home enough and do 1 water change a month and im looking to dose trace elements and get my tank to where it could support corals
You shouldn't find any appreciable loss of major constituents with those coral. I fear dosing will just open you up to issues that arise from over dosing.

I would definateky begin by testing the big 3 and tracking your levels over time. That will tell you if/when you need to dose. But you first need to know what your levels are.

OP
OP
Peter Dietz

Peter Dietz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You shouldn't find any appreciable loss of major constituents with those coral. I fear dosing will just open you up to issues that arise from over dosing.

I would definateky begin by testing the big 3 and tracking your levels over time. That will tell you if/when you need to dose. But you first need to know what your levels are.
Big 3 as in Alk, cal and mag?

kevin_e

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would you say about dosing trace elements?
I've never done so. I think you can get yourself in trouble there too, but I'll defer to people who actually do so. But again, with any kind of dosing, you need to know what your levels are and what you need to dose to maintain a healthy level.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weekly water changes are all you need to replenish trace elements. As mentioned I don't think you have anything in your tank steadily depleting your elements. I'd test and see where you are at. I'm sure that weekly water changes will keep all elements in your tank in check, but we could never know for sure without testing. If the big 3 are low then once you get them in check you can worry more about trace elements.

OP
OP
Peter Dietz

Peter Dietz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a lot of coral? Tank pictures?
20190303_154223.jpg 20190303_154227.jpg 20190303_154232.jpg 20190303_154240.jpg 20190303_154243.jpg 20190303_154617.jpg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank! I don't believe you are stocked to where you need to worry about dosing just yet though. Definitely get alkalinity and calcium test kits at the least and start monitoring it as you add more livestock. Happy Reefing!

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 24 22.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 76 71.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.8%
Back