Is there a test to determine in glass is tempered?

Reeferon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to drill the back of a tank and use a couple 90degree elbows for the overflow pipe. But I would rather just drill the bottom.

It's an older Oceanic tank with thick glass. 45 gallons.

jelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
most the time there will be a sticker that says tempered glass. but if there isnt take the tank outside and throw a pair of polerized sun glasses on. if you see the wavy lines its tempered. like like looking in the back window of the car in front of you. its also my understanding that most small tanks dont use tempered glass but have no idea at what size they start to use it.

greg0385

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually the thickness of the glass will tell you if its tempered being that tempered glass is stronger therefore it can be thinner that non tempered glass. My 55 was all panels were tempered. Found out by using this method above. So different manufact. use different glass.

Hahnmeister

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tempered glass is expensive. Most tanks don't use tempered glass..
When I build my tanks, I usually get the bottom tempered for extra impact durability. Its actually penies on the dollar for the plate glass I get. The thing is, the place I get my plate glass from does it in-house and is a larger distribution operation. They cut, grind, polish, and drill the plate first, then they run it through the oven. If you get it from some stores they usually have to send it out to get done, or they are paying to have the plate glass done at some other shop in the first place, then shipped to the tempering place, etc... and the expenses add up. Just find a place that has either an in-house facility or regularly used service... its actually dirt cheap then. Like for a $200 bottom panel of 1/2" plate glass with holes drilled and everything, the tempering cost something like $7 more.

Back